Really need advice.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Keep the thread updated... I'm fretting with you! :)

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
You could get a 10 gal tank/filter as a temporary home for the rts, keep him in quarantine until you're sure HE'S not sick too, treat the display tank for the ich, then you'll have a quarantine tank ready to go for the next time you get new fish. A 10 gal tank is only about $10, a filter only $10-15, and having a q-tank is priceless.

sillypony

Fish+College=BROKE
Mar 27, 2008
WNY
Adding to what soobie said- if you pick up a sponge filter (about 5bux) you can hook it up to the bubbler (assuming you have one). And don't forget a heater for the qt.

Another option, is look on craigslist, the classifieds, etc for a ten gallon set up used, for qt. Could save some money that way.

good luck

Zr0

AC Members
Mar 29, 2008
Took soobie's advice and bought a 10 gal tank with a kit which according to the store person included everything from gravel to a full top with lights and filter ect. I get home and It has the top but no light bulbs and no gravel so I stuck a small bulb I had in one side of the light inputs and bought a whisper filter (I could tell the one it came with was garbage) but I still have no gravel/hiding place for him and it did not come with a heater. Hopefully later today I can go out and get some gravel/hiding place and a Heater just for a few weeks.

As for the main tank I went in to get some advice on what meds to give my fish and they told me I wanted "Quick cure". So i get it home and it says "cures ich in 2 days" Which made me a bit skeptical and the instructions said to remove the carbon from filter before use, so I did so and put it in the tank (looked like blue ink). Hopefully In a few weeks the fish are cured and I can introduce my shark into the tank.

Thanks for all the input from everyone and any advice is still appreciated.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
A QT tank is great advice. I'm glad you took it and sorry I didn't think to mention it (thanks soobie!). For a QT, you'll be better off running it barebottomed without gravel. I think I have a spare 50W heater somewhere. If you are by chance in the Atl area, you're welcome to it (if I can find it). The blue is most likely because it contains Malachite Green. The only caution about it is that it can stain the tank silicone.

Zr0

AC Members
Mar 29, 2008
I live in New York but thanks anyway. Also you were right about the machachite which I hear is best if you have catfish :)

Zr0

AC Members
Mar 29, 2008
After I added the quick cure the catfish was going crazy so as instructed by the bottle I did a 25% water change, and added some stress coat+ (bad idea?). Anyway all the fish except the tetras started going crazy and the barbs would float as if dead and take control again all in a period of about 5 seconds. The catfish was going insane again. Right now they seem calm but that really scared me and I hope all my fish are still alive when I wake up.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Cetain fish are sensitive to medication and I think the catfish is one of them. Check the info that comes with the medication and see what it says.

Marinemom

Zr0

AC Members
Mar 29, 2008
I read that Catfish should be given this kind of medication for ich if any. From some website with info on ich, AND from the pet store people.

Also the barbs were acting weirder than him so I don't think its a catfish thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store