Really need some input . . .

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rlcathena

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
I have an 130 gallon aquarium. T5 Lighting on 10 hours a day with 5 hours on, 1 off, and 5 more on. I've just done a chemistry on my tank with the following measurements:

pH 7.2
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrate 10.0
Kh 9.0
Nitrite 0.0

My problem seems to be BBA. Frustrating the @##$! out of me. Am I doing something wrong that keeps growing it? I don't know if my chemistry values are off and need adjusting. I do use DIY CO2 so I'm not sure if this may have something to do with it? or maybe cut my lighting back? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance. :help:

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I have yet to find a "magic bullet" against BBA, but you may be able to reduce its impact. Your chemistry looks fine. It might help to know what plants you have and what your fertilizing schedule is like. BBA unfortunately seems to like a lot of the same things that healthy plants like.

I tried a chemical BBA killer, which barely made a difference and hurt many plants as well. I tried spot treatments with hydrogen peroxide, which worked pretty well but nearly killed the plant it was on.

For me, I was able to control (not eliminate) BBA after adding pressurized CO2 and dialing in my fertilizer amounts. In my case it was a matter of increasing the micronutrients slightly, and dosing extra potassium. My plants are basically "outgrowing" the algae now. I still need to trim off the occasional overrun leaf, especially on slow-growing anubias.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
BBA is not a 'chemistry' issue like GSA or BGA is. It results from the imbalance of light and co2. BBA generally prevails when the following conditions are met: High light, fluctuating co2 levels.

how many t5 bulbs are over your tank? are they a HO setup?
do you have constant co2 levels in your tank?

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
+1 to the above. Your size of tank is really above the limits that DIY CO2 can handle. I won't say it is impossible, but the reality is that you are looking at numerous fermentation reactors to supply the needed quantities, and those reactors are each going to be operating at a different point in their production curve. In order to stabilize that flow, for that size of tank, you are going to have staggered vessels with discreet/seperate piping systems. And it usually happens that the headache for all that isn't worth it for most people.

DJDrZ

AC Members
Jul 31, 2010
Collegeville, PA
Yeap, my 55 gal has 2 fermentation reactors and that really isnt enough.. Again mine is a 55 and you have 130. So what??? maybe 7 or 8 of these...just go presurized and be DONE.
I have 2x2L on my 72...its a boost but not nearly enough for a lush planted tank, but then again, then is not my goal. It might be enough to get rid of your algae...

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
ditch the diy co2... or run several bottles and switch them out on a schedule. should help.

rlcathena

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
To answer some of the questions. I'm still trying to figure out my fert schedule. What I have been doing is at water change dosing 1 1/2 teaspoons of nitrate and then dosing PMDD every day. I found that I could not get enough nitrate in the tank and my values were always at 0 ppm. This is a lot better and holding steady at 10 ppm for a few months. I do still add in a cap of seachem flourish too for the micros mainly b/c I can't find plantex. I do a 25% WC every week. I have 2x 2L DIY CO2 with exchanging one set out (and by set 1 mean 2 of the 4) every 2 weeks. Lighting is Odyssea 4 x 54 W 6400K bulbs. Not sure if that is HO or not . . . sorry still new to some of this stuff. I'm taking the CO2 advice and will be purchasing pressurized at the new year. I just don't want my plants over run before then. I would stop my CO2 if you think it will help. I'm just kind of scared to, b/c last time it ran out seemed to coincide with getting the BBA. I don't know if that is my imagination or not LOL. Like I said sorry I'm really new with my planted aquarium. I've had it up and running only since August. Oh I forgot plants. 3 Amazon Swords, Giant Hairgrass, Elodea, 4 Marimo balls, Vallisneria spiralis, Cryptocoryne wendtii, and Pistia Stratiotes. LOL my silver dollars have eaten everything else but they leave these all alone for w/e reason. Thanks, I really appreciate the help. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store