Red-clawed Crab Questions :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

luvkeylinn

Registered Member
Jan 22, 2021
Hi!!! :) I have some questions about red-clawed crabs. I might be getting one in the future and I'm so excited!! Of course I need to continue doing my research to give the crab a good life <3

Here are my questions:

1) Are red-clawed crabs social? (Can they be with the same species or are they solitary?)

2) Should I get a male(s) or a female(s)?

3) Is a 10-gallon tank fine or should I get a bigger one? (What is the recommended tank size for them?)

4) Will I be able to handle the red-clawed crab? (I obviously know they are crabs and will pinch me with their claws, but if I use gloves will I be able to handle them?)

5) How do I properly clean the tank?

6) Where should I leave the crab while I'm cleaning its cage?

7) What types of accessories should I add to its cage?

8) What type of sand do I use?

Those are my current questions. I know that red-clawed crabs are omnivores and they are not freshwater crustaceans. I also know they require land and water.

I'm still doing my research so please be kind. If some of the questions seem dumb and I'm supposed to know the answer then I'm sorry. It will be my first time taking care of a red-clawed crab :3

Also please let me know any other information I should know about their care! :3

Thanks in advance! :)

bickouder

AC Members
Mar 7, 2021
Red clawed crabs are not freshwater, so they don't really work well with bettas. They kinda need a brackish setup much larger than a 5g. edit: they also hunt fish, so both the cory and the betta could be in Kodi nox trouble.

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
To properly clean the tank is to do weekly water changes after tank cycled with syphoning derbis out of sand/gravel. No handle them.. get female IMO. There r solitary i thinks. Ten gallon should be fine i think. Am probably wrong, maybe right..
siphoning substrate is the worst thing to do unless you have a crushed coral or A gravel tank it kills microfauna which the crab eats and it kills your anaerobic bacteria and removes nutrients built up

• Haha
Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
siphoning substrate is the worst thing to do unless you have a crushed coral or A gravel tank it kills microfauna which the crab eats and it kills your anaerobic bacteria and removes nutrients built up
You dont need to do water changes on YOUR tank/s. If you actually dont clean substrate, ther may be a build up bacteria, parasites that are only preventable but always there 24/7 ready to infect fish, also hydra, planaria or detritus worms can multiply in under few days. Trust me, i never done that once and there was an invasion mate.
Btw i dont think youre into science at all kid:

anaerobic= without oxygen
aerobic= with oxygen.

Oh well, just a little.. well.. correction.. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store