Red marks on yellow tang getting worse.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
Getting ready to move my fish over to my new 110, so in the mean time I have my tang in a 29gal and trying to treat him for these red marks on him. It's was spreading more before I moved him over but now that he's in a smaller tank on his own I've managed to get a pic of the problem. Does anyone know what this could be?

tang.jpg

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
Don't know, but I'd take him to my LFS and let him quarantine it for awhile if you could. That guy's going to die if not.

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
unfortunately there are only 2 stores really local to me. One doesn't deal with saltwarer, and the other doesn't really have much as afar as quarantine tanks.

Pineapple

Love4Monsters
Dec 11, 2005
I’m not sure but I think your tang has some sort of bacterial infection. This usually occurs from degraded water quality. Your tang looks healthy other wise. Improve water quality, and if this doesn’t work you may have to medicate. You could try Metronidazole soaked in some of the tangs’ food.

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
Ok, I will try that. I've noticed that he's been seeking alot of attention from my cleaner shrimp recently, and I've been doing bigger water changes in this tank to try to keep the water quality up while I get my other tank up and runnning. He hasn't shown any change in behavior, and the smaller tank space doesn't seem to be stressing him out at all. Actually he seems a bit less shy now that there is more live rock compared to the size of the tank than there was in my 55. He actually comes out and begs for food now, before he would just hide if he saw me.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Here are some cures and reasons why YT get red stripes/blotches, read and you will be able to cure the bacterial infection.

Red streaks or blotches in Yellow Tangs is due to bacterial infection. This is often due to water quality or shipping conditions if the tang is a recent import.

Often just a series of water changes to improve water quality, along with an examination of the filtration system and necessary improvements for long term stability, is sufficient to clear this up in several days.

However, should the above steps not cause improvement in the tangs condition within 2 or 3 days or the redness appears to get worse than it is time to break out the antibiotics. Generally it is best to treat in a seperate Quarantine Tank (QT) as antibiotics could negatively effect filtration in a FO tank and are certainly not good to use in a reef tank. The best antibiotics for Red Streak are usually Nitrofuran or Kanacyn IME. For those using Spectogram without any results I would suggest switching to Kanacyn as Nitrofuran is an ingredient in Spectrogram.

I put a 1/2 capsule of kanacyn in about a cup of tank water and got it dissolved and then soaked the fishes food in that water for about 30 minutes and then fed them. I couldn't just "spot feed" the tang, everyone ate the food.

Within 24 hours the red streaks started disappearing. I kept a very close eye on the corals, but knew if something was going to go down the tube there wouldn't be much I could do. But, thankfully, everything was fine and the fish has been healthy ever since.

small yellow tang came down with red blotches I started feeding pepso food by jungle. It treats internal parasites, but it cleared up the spots and when I would stop feeding it for a week or so they would come back. I found that it was my water quality that was causeing the spots but the pepso food cured on a temporary basis. so fix the water quality then get some pepso food if you can. I ordered it from doctor foster and smiths.

Dont know what his parasite/stress problem was, but I gave him an 8min freshwater bath (matching temp and ph) and he was fine after and showed immediate improvement. Within 2 days he was good as new. I was told to never give a freshwater bath to any fish with an open wound. Mine had only the discolorations, and symptoms of itching.

my yellow tang last week had 3 spots pop up on him out of nowhere....{maybe from my addition of ruby reef the week before?}....anyways , did 2 water changes 20% each in the past week and he is 100% I thought for sure he was a goner...it looked BAD

You should do a 40% water change, followed by a 10% water change every 2 days. Clean water, make sure your protein skimmer is removing the waste it is supposed to, water changes.

THAT IS IT. Proper nutrition and overfeeding should also be watched.

Do not overdo. Overdoing anything will ruin it all.

My yellow tang has had the red streaks in the past....I changed its diet, and the streaks went away....Not sure if the change in diet did it, but the streaks went away without chemicals.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
"Furan-2" from Aquarium Pharmeceuticals is commonly available at Petco, Petsmart, etc. on one of those hanging cards with the capsules. Furan-2 is 60mg nitrofurazone, 25mg furazolidone and 2mg methylene blue trihydrate.

That will treat it for ya.

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
Thanks, i'll have to give it a try. I really want to get it all cleared up before I move him because treating him in a 110gal won't be fun at all.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
thats right, treat him as soon as possible, other aquariasts have had this problem and it can be very stressing for the fish and it will kill the fish, make sure any treatments for the fish do not contain copper if you are using it around inverts, otherwise copper elements and traces would be ok.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store