Red Minor Serpae Tetra?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RamDad1012

Registered Member
Mar 22, 2013
What type of fish should I pair with Red Minor Serpae Tetra? We made a mistake with the fish we put them in with and have moved them into a different tank, but need to know some ideas on what we should put them with.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
Serpae tetras are nippy and it's been suggested that keeping them in a group of 6 or more should limit this behavior. If the tank is large enough, cichlids that won't consider them food, silver dollars, plecos, other catfish, large rainbows, pretty much anything without long trailing fins.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I keep mine with blackskirt tetras and it works well for both groups. I keep 6 of each in a 20H and have 2-3 giant danios. Seems like a lot of fish for a small tank but it seems to work well for them. The colors of the red fish and the silver/black seems like more than enough to keep it from being a boring tank.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What size tank, and what else do you have in it??

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
How many do you have, what size tank are they in, and do you have anything else with them right now?

Emily

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
According to what I've read, 6 is a good number to curb their nippy habbits. Angels will nip back if given the chance. I kept a dozen Serpae tetras with 4 angels in a 75g and the angels did all the harassing.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Great_Star_6

Registered Member
May 13, 2020
Kansas City, Mo
Real Name
Benjamin
i have a dozen in with a pair of angelfish with no problems
I have 20 of the red minor tetras and a pair of dalmatian mollies, 1 orange Molly, rubberlip pleco, 2 star red tetras and an angelfish.

The red minor tetras nip at the star red tetras and the angelfish but nothing else. I also found that the large group helps but their behavior resembles the machines from the Matrix...

The swarm swim in like a flowing fish river of stress. All taking turns nipping while in this fast flowing curious state. My angle has found refuge in the corner behind a plant but it doesn't look good until I get another tank.

Any advice?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store