red slime

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

guitarkev13

help the cause donate to EZLN
Jun 17, 2007
will it hurt reefs? or inverts? im just realy afriad because of the size of the tank
it may be my params ive run out of testing supplies last week so i need to get some more

RothChyld

AC Members
Feb 16, 2003
Tampa, FL
www.cboss.com
Its more unsightly than anything. If it gets really out of hand though it will start covering your corals. It won't hurt your animals though unless whatever parameter that is off is really bad. That can hurt your animals. For instance, if your nitrates are really high then that would be bad for everything.

guitarkev13

help the cause donate to EZLN
Jun 17, 2007
woah just checked salinity 1.030 wc imediatly! brought it down to 1.024 could that have been it?

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
my red slime killed my mushrooms, palys and even the yellow polyps in my 29g. the chemiclean didn't hurt a thing not that there was much left for it to take out. i don't know if your high SG could have caused the redslime outbreak, maybe it did... you could get it down and siphon off the slime and see if it comes back...

pistolpete3521

AC Members
Mar 16, 2008
Indian Trail, NC
I have a natural solution... Blue legged hermits or something similar that will just eat it, it will make it easier to treat if you even have to once these guys fill up. Get something that eats cyano.

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
I like the blue legged hermits but they can be tough in a nano. Your high salinity can be a partial cause of the problem. Not the salinity itself but the aftermath effects that high salinity can cause. Something that I have lived by for a long time in aquatics is simple "find the cause and you will find the cure". Of course we need to help that along sometimes. To many people treat symptoms and not causes which is a temporary fix at best.
Keep a good eye on the tank as you dropped the salinity a lot in a short amount of time. You may want to do a few 15-20% water changes over the next week or two. Use a small hose to syphon out what cyano you can. Cyano will choke out your rocks,corals etc. and can deplete O2 content. If you have any air going into your tank, you will want to minimize that as cyano thrives when bubbles are created.

RothChyld

AC Members
Feb 16, 2003
Tampa, FL
www.cboss.com
FYI nothing eats cyano that I am aware of including blue legged hermits. Dale has it right. Find the problem. Start with buying a test kit and testing everything. If salinity is that far out of whack something else probably is too. Also do water changes and siphon out the red slime.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store