Red tail black shark experience

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I need to update the main thread; but I still have the paludarium in my signature setup. I have 8 Odessa barbs and the 8 dwarf chain loaches left. I have really been thinking about adding a single red tail black shark (epalzeorhynchos bicolor). I have read that the shark SHOULD leave my loaches alone; but I am also wondering if he would pester my barbs which have similar coloration. My biggest concern, however, is that the shark doesn't harass my loaches too much; I really like them and have had several for about five years now. Anyone have personal experience with tankmates for these guys?

Any other ideas for stocking the tank; preferably of fish that come from the Chao Praya river basin in Thailand or the Thai/Myanmar border area? I wouldn't mind a pair of gourami but I think the barbs would have a heyday with their fins. I'm not particularly keen to do SAE again; but I haven't completely ruled them out either. I just want to finish the fauna in the tank and maybe finally finish the background with a few more plants instead of just letting moss take over.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I keep a rainbow shark with ruby red barbs. The shark chases them, but doesn't really do anything. Just seems to like chasing anything it can really.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
The Red Tail Black Shark is very similar if not the same as the Ruby/Rainbow Shark. Both can be very pesky and active fish. Only thing to worry out is them jumping out of the tank, I've had a lot jump ship. They mostly just chase fish around, had them chase angels, but never my bottom feeders.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Thanks; the tank is pretty tall so I'm not worried about him/her jumping out of this one. I have yet to have any jumpers with the Odessa Barbs or SAE's when I had them (and I have had a few injuries from excited fishing slamming into the walls/objects).

If the shark were to just chase the barbs, I am sure they would probably get along great.... The barbs seem to spend 3/4 of their "day" chasing each other around. The other quarter is divided between being chased by loaches or eating. Here are the possible, future tank mates.11-24-15 fish2.JPG

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
calivivarium1 calivivarium1 you should be worried about him jumping unless there is a secure lid without gaps. Had one jump out of a 29gal tank with a lid that had some gaps - never seen him swim at the top. Guess when the urge comes, they just run up top and jump out.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I think my tank will be okay with not lid; its got over 12" from the water line to the top. And part of it does have a lid.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've had both RT & rainbow sharks over the years but never with small loaches. I did have them kill corys more than once by body slamming them into the substrate. I "think" loaches would be safer since they understand territories, unlike corys. I'd expect chasing but no real harm. It might be a good idea to change around the hiding places before adding a shark so it & the loaches can establish their own areas without conflicts.

Nice tank & fish, BTW

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I've had both RT & rainbow sharks over the years but never with small loaches. I did have them kill corys more than once by body slamming them into the substrate. I "think" loaches would be safer since they understand territories, unlike corys. I'd expect chasing but no real harm. It might be a good idea to change around the hiding places before adding a shark so it & the loaches can establish their own areas without conflicts.

Nice tank & fish, BTW
Thanks! Alright, I will just try to keep an eye on them then. I can't move around all the "cover" because some of it is attached to the background; I can probably add a tiny bit and move part of the existing cover though.

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
Thanks; the tank is pretty tall so I'm not worried about him/her jumping out of this one. I have yet to have any jumpers with the Odessa Barbs or SAE's when I had them (and I have had a few injuries from excited fishing slamming into the walls/objects).

If the shark were to just chase the barbs, I am sure they would probably get along great.... The barbs seem to spend 3/4 of their "day" chasing each other around. The other quarter is divided between being chased by loaches or eating. Here are the possible, future tank mates.View attachment 216282
Good looking Odessa's!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
I have two Botia Kubotai in with a red tail shark and they completely ignore eachother. they are in a 120g though. The sharks are actually in the Barb family so I'm not sure how they act around odessa's but I have a group of filament barbs in my aquarium and they coexist wonderfully. I don't forsee you having any issues unless you just happen to get the one red tail in the store that is a psycho.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store