redtail catfish in kiddy pool?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

geo

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
U.S.A.
Visit site
I was just wondering if it would be possible to take one of those hard plastic kiddy pools and fill it with water, set up a filter/hiding places, and make a tank for a s.a. redtail catfish (or any other large fish)? I dont have any large fish, and I dont think I'll get any, its just an idea. I was going to get a dwarf caiman once, and its water area was going to be a kiddy pool.
georgio

Ledslnger

AC Members
Nov 1, 2001
Sioux City, IA
Maybe a full sized pool. A red tailed cat will get over 3 foot in length. Too big for a kiddy pool. You need awesome filtration for them and a good supply of food. Be very prepared before you ever get a RTC. I would suggest a 480 gallon tank to start with plans to upgrade down the road.

geo

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
U.S.A.
Visit site
well, maybe some of the smaller (But still quite large) catfish? I'm talking about those kiddy pools that were maybe 3 feet deep and 6 feet in diameter, they were made with hard plastic, sold for about $20?

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
i was at the local feed store yesterday pricing some heavy duty drinking troughs for horse and cattle. the manufacturers of kiddie pools really don't expect them to last more than one or two seasons, but these big ole tubs for watering animals are pretty durable. the plastic ones look better, but the metal ones made me think i could wrap some sort of heating device around them and maintain water temps without having a device that had to be submerged. a 40 gallon plastic oval was $35. i didnt check the price on the 100's, 250's, but they had quite a selection.

one of the tropical fish hatcheries uses concrete casket holders used by cemetarys as monster fish tanks but that seemed a little grim to me.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Whatever happened to Mojo? He had a red tail (or did) in an indoor pond.

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
You can go to mojo's site and read all about his pond, see pics, and request his plans. It's 1600 gallons, I believe. I would think long and hard about buying a red-tail; mine died yesterday - we were building a 6'x8', 780 gallon indoor pond for her. See the 'Sparky' post in chit-chat. A good 'starter' pond would be the oblong Rubbermaid 300 gallon watering trough for livestock. I don't think they cost that much (maybe $150) and you would have some depth (about 2.5 feet), AND they are STURDY.
judy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store