Regal Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ryrazzer

AC Members
Nov 1, 2004
Hi,

2 weeks ago i bought a regal to go with my 2 clown fish. He seems very happy, and is swimming around and has a very healthy diet, which he always eats.
Today i noticed that on his body, there seem to be slightly raised black spots down both sides. They are only visible if you look real close, and if he stays still long enough!
I have noticed him scratching against the live rock. He only does it every so often.
I have been reading about ich, but most cases seem to involve white spots, where as mine has none, just the black ones i mentioned above.
I do a water change once a week.
Is this something to worry about or am i been paranoid?
I also have a cleaner shrimp who the tang seems to keep visiting. Will he clean him of any parasites?
Many thanks

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Black spot is a similar parasite to ich. All tangs are prone to skin infections--and it's hard to say if the cleaner will be enough. The other fish have now been exposed as well--IMO, you'd be well advised to get a hospital tank, pull out all the fish, and treat them appropriately. Turn the temp in the main tank up to 86, and run it fishless for at least 4 weeks.

How big is the tank? Tangs in smaller tanks are prone to having more health issues, even if given a healthy diet and parasite free, than those in larger (ie, min of 120) tanks.

ryrazzer

AC Members
Nov 1, 2004
The tank is 96 Ltr.
To get a hostpital tank set up, it will cost much more than the cost of all my fish put together.
I think ill just ride it out. The store i get all my stuff from assures me thats its mainly caused by stress and it will clear up in time.
My clowns arnt showing any signs of spots anywhere and the tang is swimming round happily and eating well.

Thanks for the advice

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Sorry to hear your tang's sick, hope he recovers. JMO, but a 25g isn't nearly large enough to keep one of these fish. Unless you're planning on a much larger tank in the future, I'd take him back and exchange him for something that will be happier in a nano.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store