Regarding possible Goldfish Dormancy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sincero5

AC Members
Nov 10, 2004
Chicagoland Area
I've got a 55 gallon established tank. It contains a black moor, a lion head, a red capped oranda, and some other kind of fancy goldfish. They are all about 1-1/2 to 2" in size. I added the lionhead about 2 wks ago. They all look physically healthy with no signs of stress, at all. But, two days ago, I noticed that the lion head and oranda, literally, huddle in the back bottom corner, almost with the heads pointing down. They stay like that for hours. The black moor and other goldfish swim around (act normally). The water temperature is at about 61 degrees, since they are located in a basement in Chicago.

Other than planning world domination, what would cause the lionhead and oranda to huddle like that. When I feed, they eventually do swim around and eat.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
do you have a lot of filter flow in the tank? ive found with mine that at first if they have previously been kept in slow flow tanks it takes them a long while to get strong enough to motor around the tank. also, do you have plenty in the tank for them to mooch around as mine seem to get bored almost if i havent got a lot of pond weed etc for them to play about in and with or if i have a decor movearound and they dont like it.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
61 degrees seems cold for fancies, since they prefer temps around 71. I am not really sure about dormancy in fancies, but my guess is that you have some pretty chilly goldfish. You might want to consider adding a heater (not usually necessary if ambient temperatures are high.) Just a thought. I know that there are some people who keep fancies in ponds, but I have never heard of them overwintering well, and my guess is that they are not active because they are just overchilled.

sincero5

AC Members
Nov 10, 2004
Chicagoland Area
Thanks for the feedback. At first, it was just the oranda laying low. Then it was the oranda and the lion head. Now it's the oranda, lionhead, and the black moor. They pile on top of each other in the back corner of the tank. The only one swimming around is som other kind of fancy gold fish that I have. I also think they are over chilled. I'm going to add a heater and continue to monitor them. Thanks.

sincero5

AC Members
Nov 10, 2004
Chicagoland Area
Kelly82, I have a Penguin 330 in the 55 gallon tank. There's plenty of room for them and they were swimming and eating just fine. I've checked ammonia levels and they are at zero. They look perfectly health except for their behavior. I'm thinking they are over chilled. I'll post an update soon. Thanks for your assistance.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
85 is far too hot, it will stress the fish and reduce the oxygen levels in the water. i dont even keep my tropicals at 85, let alone my goldies. fingers crossed the last ones make it. good luck.

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
how are the other two goldies doing, sincero?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store