Reinvigorate the forums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
We need to find a way to get people back on forums and off of Facebook. It’s a damn mess out there. Can’t even sell fish. This forum used to be hopping and now it’s almost dead. Makes me so sad. I’d rather get my info here, but answers come so much faster there(albeit bad answers most of the time). How to we funnel people back here? Maybe we should start linking posts from here in Facebook so people find us?

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I think most people, including myself, just google or get on Youtube with it's many excellent Aquarist channels.
I do like the give and take on fish forums and sharing tank pics.

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
Also with forums is the added element of being able to share plants/snails/fish that you can’t do on Facebook or google. I’ve sent things to other people and them to me usually at no charge here in the forums. And the friendships I’ve made just in this forum alone have been amazing. I mean, I’ve met people from here at aquaria auctions and had lunch with them. You don’t get that anywhere else.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I used to be active, but it's hard to keep interest up when I don't have fish. Not enough reward for the trouble in the current situation.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I have met some incredible people from here in the past,

one of them even saved my life.

But I can say I've met even more folks through the 'organized' hobby or local fish clubs, facebook and conventions.

I think that if AC is ever going to be revived, it really needs to start at the top; it's certainly going to be difficult to have enough folks logged on at one time to make a difference.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Maybe it's people not being into this hobby (or what ever you want to call it), like they were when there was fish or pet stores every few blocks. Or at least one or two in every small town.

People's preference in how they want to talk about it online is always going to change. Forums like this were here years before the social media platforms took hold. Apparently people like the fast paced, highly populated, constantly changing social media platforms better now.

All I can say is thank God for the forum member who saved dougall.

Reactions: dudley

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The hobby isn't dying, just changing.

More people are keeping large reef aquariums with the emphasis on coral, and all that goes into supporting that.

Look at trade type shows like Aquashella, Aquatic Experience, Superzoo or whatever to see the masses and the manufacturers are both there

Look at the following some fish related folks have on YouTube

Overall, most forums are slowing down or dying off because the experience is going elsewhere, the interface to access the forums is not changing, AC has slowed to the point of stopping,

Forum-wise, MFK is busy, Reef Central is busy, Aquatic Plant Central is far from dead.

The platform can work. but I expect has to change in order to do so.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Dougall, what is it in your opinion about MFK's platform that makes it so much more busy?

There are experienced folks over there, but I wouldn't say all of the advice given there is good. Lots of talky talk and threads/posts though.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It's not the platform, it's the amount of activity.

If you want to compare the content. Look through the past 100 posts, look at things like the timeframe covered, the level and variety of expertise, the number of people that post a reply to a topic etc.

There's a lot at AC that shows a lack of activity for some time, is that the sort of message to say this is an active and worthwhile spot on the internet?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
There's a lot at AC that shows a lack of activity for some time, is that the sort of message to say this is an active and worthwhile spot on the internet?
I get that. It's very apparent.

You mentioned starting at the top and the need for change. I'm just trying to discuss ideas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store