RENA filstar or fluval

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
I have 3 Fluval 404's right now and don't have one complaint about them. I did though just order a Filstar XP3 about 15 minutes ago. Everything I heard was good about them so I figured I would a try.

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
I have the fluval 404 and the self primer is a laugh, I 've never
had so much trouble starting a filter up. The self primer dosn't work worth a pc of you know what. Of course I don't have much experience with canister filters but I think for my next one I'll get the money together for an Eheim.

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
FILSTAR XP3!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO GET ONE TODAY!!!!!!!!

Yo! I got a Filstar XP3 for Christmas and love it!! I had it put together and running within 30 minutes!!! The baskets are really neat to store your media in; so far, no problems with a lot of clean water!! XP3 is the way to go!!

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I've had the XP3 for a month and have "cleaned" it (changing media out from other filter) twice so far. Have to say its pretty simple and if you're careful, you won't spill any water pulling the hoses and assembly out. Just have a small towel on hand to set them on. I also use a 2nd bucket to put the baskets into after rinsing them. IMO, it is very easy to set up, get going, and maintain. It's my 1st canister so I can't compare it to any others though.

Ken91gsx

AC Members
Feb 8, 2002
The Big Apple, NY
Canister

Fluval never got there act together, bad design. Filstar is the way to go. They have a simple, efficient design and cheap $. The Emporer 400 takes up alot of room behind the tank. I would attach a Pro 60 Bio-wheel onto the output of the Filstar XP3.
That is what I'm running on my 65 gal and it works great.
On the same price range is other new canister filter by Plenn Plax call Cascade w/ self priming and also ViaAqua has one too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store