RENA Filstar XP 2 Canister Filter question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Anaxus

This space for rent!
Mar 4, 2003
Louisiana
Visit site
I am about to buy a RENA Filstar XP 2 Canister Filter for my 29gallon tank. My question is do I need to buy any media or does it come with it.
If I have to buy media what media is the best to buy for it.

jeffro426

AC Members
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Personally i see no difference in the two...as long is it give bacteria something to cling too it will work...get whatevers cheapest

And for what its worth, ive seen people throw legos, plastic army men, cut up hose, etc in there and its worked just fine!

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I bought my XP3 over a year ago from BigAls and as the add in Drs Foster & Smith says, it came with micro pad, 2 coarse, 2 fine pads, and a Bio-Chem Zorb pouch. No rings for me either? Must be NJ has some inside connections?
If you want cheap (other than army men which do work) go with Eheims Ehfimech. They're non-porous ceramic rings that go for around $6 U.S. for 1 liter. Porous rings and stars will advise you to replace a certain portion of the media after so many months. This is because the pores get clogged and the stuff inside the pores breaks down, adding to your biological demand. The non-porous stuff just "sheds" any film developing on it so it doesn't need replacing.

lee914

Makena, Hawaii 2001
Dec 31, 2003
ohio
Visit site
Mine did not come with rings either, just 4 spomges and carbon

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Doh! Is that BigAls vip club (which I am a member!) or the special Hose Cleaners Club?!? :p

I wonder what the chances are that if I call and complain they will send me some rings? I won't do it b/c I wouldn't use them (assuming they're the porous ones).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store