Reptisoil (repost)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aen

AC Members
Apr 7, 2020
Could I use reptisoil as a substrate in a planted tank? I have stuff leftover from setting up a crab enclosure and I was wondering if it is safe for the water column/fish.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
You might be better off contacting Zoo Med since they make Reptisoil to see if it's safe for use in a planted tank. I could find no info on if it's safe or not.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
substrate in what sense?

if you plan to put it in there on it's own, I will say no. if you choose to cap it with something, it's a maybe.

honestly, it's not worth taking the chance, substrate is pretty cheap.

Aen

AC Members
Apr 7, 2020
substrate in what sense?

if you plan to put it in there on it's own, I will say no. if you choose to cap it with something, it's a maybe.

honestly, it's not worth taking the chance, substrate is pretty cheap.

What are some ideas for capping?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Sand? Fine gravel?

Honestly I never understood the need to have 2 sorts of substrate, it's gonna mix over time anyway.

If you want to use it for plants, either use regular soil with a cap, use an aquasoil, or to save money without having the potential of a muddy mess, use safeTsorb or Turface.

If not plants, just use sand or gravel.

You aren't likely to gain anything by using reptile substrate, just the potential for a mess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store