Rescued a Betta from the LFS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A cutie!

Apr 2, 2002
New York
The stores put them in those containers just to get you to buy them. The more of them they sell like that the more money they make. I am going into year 23 of keeping fish. I have bought many hundreds of fish over the years. I would guess I have bought fewer than 30 in stores, Many of them were not healthy and I regretted the purchase. Most of my store shopping happened in my first year of keeping fish.

I have a simple rule about shopping in stores. If they sell any of the following I will either not shop there or only buy tanks when on sale.
1. Tank busters at small sizes to anybody.
2. Bettas in those tiny bowls.
3. Glow Fish.
4. Multiple dead fish in tanks.

The result has been I buy almost 0 live in stores and have never purchased a single live plant from one. I recently bought from Live Aquariua And it was a disaster I will not repeat. I did it to get Amano shrimp and they pretty much all died either in transit or soon after. Bad packing, but they refunded my money.

That said it, is a pretty fish.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
The stores put them in those containers just to get you to buy them. The more of them they sell like that the more money they make. I am going into year 23 of keeping fish. I have bought many hundreds of fish over the years. I would guess I have bought fewer than 30 in stores, Many of them were not healthy and I regretted the purchase. Most of my store shopping happened in my first year of keeping fish.

I have a simple rule about shopping in stores. If they sell any of the following I will either not shop there or only buy tanks when on sale.
1. Tank busters at small sizes to anybody.
2. Bettas in those tiny bowls.
3. Glow Fish.
4. Multiple dead fish in tanks.

The result has been I buy almost 0 live in stores and have never purchased a single live plant from one. I recently bought from Live Aquariua And it was a disaster I will not repeat. I did it to get Amano shrimp and they pretty much all died either in transit or soon after. Bad packing, but they refunded my money.

That said it, is a pretty fish.
Though I respect your decisions to avoid LFS many of us out in the boondocks don’t have access to highly reputable fish breeders or plant sources without driving hours. I have also read horror stories of folks buying online and dealing with dead and dying animals and plants. This industry is flush with disreputable people. I’ll take my chances with the LFS until I can find other stores and people I can trust.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store