Research Fish and Stories

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
It is true that small fish tend to freeze to avoid predators. So, I am sure that is part of it. As the dropping of the object was standardized to always be in the middle of the tank, there were times where the fish were very near to the center and the clip ended up less than an inch away from them. They didn't budge still. It'll be interesting to re do the experiment in a couple of months and see if they have changed in their reaction.
When I did a similar experiment with the eye biter fry, they did freeze and I used it as a measure of boldness (less time freezing = bolder fish). However, when I dropped an object they would usually dart around a bit and then freeze. The average time spent darting was about 2 seconds, but nearly all of them did it. These guys have such a different behaviours to the eye biters that I'm thinking I may have to wait until they are older and do aggression and things along those lines.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I got the first healthy Eye Biter (Dimidiochromis compressiceps) brood in over a year. I'm so happy, 58 little floating eyeballs!

Eye Biter Larvae 18 Days.jpg

Reactions: dudley

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I was having a rough day today and I went to do my second feed on all my fry, I decided to check the breeding pairs of L. ocellatus to see if any one has spawned or any fry are ready to move. I saw a couple little tiny free swimming fish in one tank, pulled the pipe out to check and found about 25 little fry fully free swimming and ready to move. Popped them into their own small tank and went to get items to label it, I decided to snap a picture when I came back. About half of them are out exploring their new digs, but these guys were still in the cap of the pipe. Pretty happy with the size of this brood. I'm getting good numbers now and already have three broods from this particular pair. Shell Dwellers 14 Mar.jpg

Reactions: dudley

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I haven't had any babies in my tank for a long time, I'm envious. Ah well, my fish is getting geriatric, so I'm getting closer to being able to again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store