Restart To Planted Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

2Tanks4Ever

AC Members
Apr 25, 2017
So, I have had a fish tank for about seven months now, and I had some fish die. It is a 20 gallon regular, and I have three fish remaining. A dwarf fire gourami, a platy, and a tuxedo guppy, which I got from my LFS.

I have no clue why the fish died all one after another (except for the three), but I believe, like the title says, it's time that I plant it too. This would require a HUGE restart, and I am wondering what to do with the fish. I want to give the three the new home, but I have no where else to put them (except for my 55 gallon aquarium that is just up and running, but I do not want to risk contamination to the few fish in it).

Any suggestions would be nice,

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Unless you are seeing signs of a disease, I don't see a reason for restarting the whole tank. Have you tested your water (ammonia, nitrites and nitrates etc)? If so what were the readings?

2Tanks4Ever

AC Members
Apr 25, 2017
The last fish before the three died about a week ago. So I don't know the contamination risk. He died very quickly, in about a day. My water also checks out fine

2Tanks4Ever

AC Members
Apr 25, 2017
My water has little to no nitrates, no nitrites, and has a pH of 7-7.5. it is pretty hard, but that hasn't been the problem. I have had some die of dropsy (the bacteria that causes it), one with swim bladder disease, and two which I have no clue (Just timid, then dead).

As for the three, they all are currently looking healthy, and I know what to look for. They eat well, behave normally, and have been interacting like normal. They only foreseeable problem is with my tuxedo guppy, which has a dorsal that looks like it is bleached. This happened to both of the guppies I've got, though, and he has lived with it for a month and a half.

So, under normal conditions, I would have a pretty good tank, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the tank.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What is your maintenance schedule like? How often & how much water do you change? Do you vacuum every time?

Easy plants like java fern & anubias can grow in pretty much any tank or lighting & can only help, both for fish health & aesthetics.

I'd wait until there are no more fish deaths for many weeks before adding more.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
If you're water is good, tank is cycled, and there are no signs of disease then I do not see a point in starting over. If what you mean by starting over is killing off the biofilter, cleaning everything and re-cycling from fresh.

If you know what to look for then wait til you don't see it for a month and then I'd say you're good to go. But I would recommend QTing new fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store