Review of Odyssea CFS130 filter.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I had purchased this filter off eBay a few months ago for $29.95 shipped with the intent of trying it out on one of my smaller tanks if/when I need it. I set it up today on my 29g.

It's a pretty neat little hang-on-back canister. It uses a standard looking small circulation pump that sits in the bottom of the canister on the return side, so the unfiltered water starts at the top and works it's way down through the media, to the pump, which shoots it up a stand pipe that connects to the cover and out the outflow into the tank. You have options for the outflow. It comes with a spray bar, adjustable nozzle or you could go with nothing but the open pipe.

You could use what ever media you want in this filter. They have it setup wrong from the factory in my opinion, with a polishing pad up top, finer sponge, course sponge and then bio balls in the bottom (pump) level.

I set mine up with coarse sponge on top (the dirtiest area), then a finer pad, then floss, then a bio bag of well aged seachem pond matrix from another filter at the pump level.

It's very quiet and seems to have a decent flow rate. The bracket that allows it to hang on the tank is adjustable and looks like it might fit up to 55gal tanks.

We'll see how it goes long term. It's a nice filter for planted tanks because you can set it up so that there basically no surface agitation.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just an update given you enthusiasts are totally waiting at the edge of your seats for this type of info..

I discovered a definite deficiency with this filter two days ago. I didn't even have it in service for 10 days and one of the stock pads and the little bit of floss I had in it clogged to the point it was hindering water flow to the bottom and starving the pump.

Given the flow through this "canister" is top-down, if any of the media begins to clog, it starves the bottom return pump and flow through the filter stops.

Removing the filter from the tank and servicing it is a fiddly pain in the arse as well the way it is designed. The cover has to hang to the side since the power cord for the pump runs through the cover. Then you have to be careful with the media since the return tube has to run through it and still line up with the port in the cover, all while keeping the power cord stuffed to the side and around the media.

This is all while the metal clips on the cover fall off a few times and the D-shaped O-ring on the cover falls out a few times.

I don't want to totally bash this filter because my issues could be all growing pains, but as always, you tend to get what you pay for.

• Wow
Reactions: dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store