roaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jimi

oddball king
Jan 20, 2009
cockroaches, so im having some problems with cockroaches they eat each other and are tough *******s, are they going to hurt the pets i try to feed them to?

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
never heard roaches eating each other unless they are of different species.

how did they arise?

if u have a prob, there must be sources of food for them (crumbs, uncleaned dishes, floor food droppings not swept up, greasy stove/counter tops, garbage can not covered, etc.), so 1st off u have to do some major cleaning/scrub down.

I wouldn't feed them to your pets (what pets? reptile type?)

next, lay down boric acid with talcum powder along the borders/edges of your counter/baseboards, caulk/fill in cracks.etc.

they will get into anything & everything, including your silverware drawers & dishware cabinets!

insidious pests!

good luck!

btw - this is a tip I tried, leaving a few bowls of cheap red wine out, u can catch many getting a drink getting drunk then drowning themselves!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
^ I think the OP is probably referring to a type of roach that is commonly fed to reptiles, not the kind that infests houses.

What species of roach are you dealing with? Some are more cannibalistic than others. But most if not all will not eat their own kind if you keep them well fed. I have a Dubia Roach colony with over 1,500 individuals and I've never seen them eat each other.

jimi

oddball king
Jan 20, 2009
im not sure what kind they are i jsut know there about 2 inches long with some thick wings when there full grown kind of a brown. and they had tons of veggies and some fruit ( that i cleaverly covered in vitamin and minaral aditives to gut load but they still at the smallest one. hes still alive but they almost ripped him in half and theres peices of him every where.
all i know asbout them is that there not the hissing or the death head and where a tropical species

jimi

oddball king
Jan 20, 2009
well i jsut want something other then crickets that all my lizards and my tarantula can eat ( ive seen alot of horned worms but there usually 2 bucks a piece. and im not sure how healthy they will be. any suggestions?

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
^ I think the OP is probably referring to a type of roach that is commonly fed to reptiles, not the kind that infests houses.

What species of roach are you dealing with? Some are more cannibalistic than others. But most if not all will not eat their own kind if you keep them well fed. I have a Dubia Roach colony with over 1,500 individuals and I've never seen them eat each other.
sorry about that. boy was I way off base! good luck with your colonies.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
what does every one else feed there herps
That depends on what animal I'm feeding. Here's the menu:

Spiny-tailed Monitors: Dubia roaches, crickets, pinkie mice, occasionally thawed shrimp and leopard gecko eggs.

Crested Geckos: Crickets, roaches, crested gecko diet mixed with mango baby food.

Electric Blue Geckos (Lygodactylus): Small crickets, baby roaches, fruit flies, mango baby food.

Leopard Geckos: Crickets, Dubia roaches, grasshoppers.

Stinkpot Musk Turtles and Red Cheeked Mud Turtle: Reptomin, Hikari Floating Predator Sticks, Massivore, Hikari Cichlid pellets, thawed shrimp, crickets, earthworms, pond snails, algae waffers, shrimp pellets, Dubia roaches, water lettuce, anacharis, squash.

Box Turtles: Strawberries, carrots, squash, zucchini, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, bananas, earthworms, thawed shrimp, crickets, grasshoppers, rose, violet and dandelion flowers

Pixie Frog (African Bullfrog): Crickets, earthworms, Dubia roaches, rat pups

LifelessForm

Papercut Survivor
Sep 8, 2008
Mechanicsburg, Pa
Viper Geckos: Medium Crickets, small Dubia, Fruit Flies when hatchlings

Crested Geckos: Crickets, Dubia, Mango, Peach, Papaya or Banana/Strawberry baby food

Leopard Geckos: Crickets, Dubia

Everyone will get Phoenix worms, Butterworms or Wax worms every once in a great while.

Crickets and Dubia are gut loaded on Tropical fish flake, high quality dog food and fruits and veggies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store