Rock Safe? Need opinions, should I use these rocks in my 10GL

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mantis_22

Blue Dreams Webmaster
Mar 24, 2003
Somerset, KY
www.blueskyff.s5.com
Hello everyone, Today I was looking at some rocks our family bought a long time ago. And just got an Idea why dont I just use these in my aquarium to make nest boundaries and such. The thing is I dont know if they are all that safe to use *They look no diffrent than the rocks down at the LFS. I took pics of them and they are at the bottom of this post. I know if I wash/rinse and scrub them really good everything should be well. Or boil them along with that. Most of the rocks I have here I want to use look safe (No limestone minerals as I can see) and so on. But im going by everyones vote, should I use these rocks/rock in my aqaurium.

BTW, we bought these rocks somewhere on vacation in Arizona.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Carbonaceous rocks are usually easy to spot, use your Aquarium Pharmeceuticals Nitrate Test bottle #1. It's hydochloric acid, and a few drops will fizz when dropped on any bad rocks.
The rocks you are showing should be safe.
good luck
:)

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
i've used many rocks from all over the place in my tanks... lakes, rivers... etc...

if you don't have a nitrate test kit, you can use white vinegar instead... just drop a few drops on the dry rocks and if they fizz or bubble then they wouldn't be good...

good luck!

Decz :)

elgecko

AC Members
Apr 10, 2003
PA
www.geocities.com
Be very careful with your rocks. When I set my tank up over 2 years ago, I found some rocks that I like outside. I boiled them and did the vinegar test on them. They passed the test. I monitored the tank, everything was ok. The ph had not changing, hardness, etc,etc. The stone was releasing something into the fish tank. I was killing, believes this or not, Zebras. And like I said all the tests of my water said that nothing was wrong. I then removed those rock and have not had a problem since.

mr magoo

AC Members
Apr 8, 2003
Brisbane
Visit site
An easy way to tell if they will effect the water chemistry is to put the rocks in a clean container of water. Test the water at the start then in a week of so re test the same water. if nothing changes the rocks are probably fine :)

elgecko

AC Members
Apr 10, 2003
PA
www.geocities.com
wetmanNY, The rocks I had in my tank that were killing Zebras was in the tank for 2 months. Like I said the tests said nothing was wrong with my water. Would Iron pyrites in the rock have changed some of my parameters, or just been toxic to the fish?

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
The carbonates WetMan mentioned, things like limestone, will alter KH and pH. Metal Ores, things like Iron Pyrites or copper ores, can be badly toxic at levels too low for hobbyist tests that most of us don't use anyway -- they won't fizz up in the presence of an acid and they won't bat around your water parameters at the end of a week (or two months or two years).

Iron Pyrites is "Fool's gold".

Copper ore will likewise tend to be an attractive nuisance and is extremely toxic to fish.

So while it may not ferret out all of the bad stones, a new rule: No Pretty Rocks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store