rodent Tank cleaning suggestion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Smaug149

AC Members
Aug 17, 2018
Michigan
I am thinking of getting out of breeding mice. Which means I will have a number of empty 10 gal. Assuming I can find one that hasn't had the silicone seal chewed too badly. How would you safely clean a male mouse tank to be fish safe? Thanks

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would act like the rodent poo/urine residue (after several clean tap water rinsings) is kind of like dosing ammonia. You need a good test kit like an API master freshwater kit...Then see where you are. Then we'll try to help you. We need some baseline numbers, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & & your tap water after it sit out for 24 hours.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Also look very carefully at the silicone seals, rodents may have chewed or clawed at it enough to make it less than functional, make sure it's watertight.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I have yet to see a tank used for rodents for longer periods of time that didn't have its seals damaged. Once they are damaged it will have to be resealed.
Even if the tank is not leaking yet, it will be a major risk in the near future. As for rinsing use dishwasher, clean out well, fill the tank let it sit for a couple of days, rinse, fill it again and let it sit for a couple of days and if it does no longer smell like rodents it'll be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store