root tab?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
I just bought gelatine capsule and I dont know which fertilizer should I add in the capsule for my planted tank. Any suggestion would be really helpful. Should I add this one?

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 2.48.25 PM.png

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Ive heard most people will use osmocote+

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would go with the pink Osmocote+ and also prick holes into the capsules too, to they fill with water and weigh more.

I have never seen any improvement from using root tabs and I use bioload as fertilizer - depending mostly on good soil and lighting.
Probably need to quantify this with what plants you grow, what you consider 'good' soil, what plant nutrients are in your water because you are likely only getting nitrogen and phosphorus from your bioload.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm very fond of root tabs for plants like swords & crypts (my favs!) but I've never used soils...& don't plan to any time soon...too many issues with soils. I'm glad they work well for you in your particular set ups NP...I've kept tanks for 40 years & find it much easier to adapt my tanks to my tap water wherever I've lived than any other options I've ever seen...& I have seen tons over the years...

Tell us more about your tanks please, I'm skeptical...but interested...Your "insights" are way too broad to apply to many of us "regular" folks...Show & tell ;) all of your tanks, parameters, plant & fish choices. Do you use co2?

Reactions: NoodleCats

NicePoeci

AC Members
Oct 30, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
www.nicepoeci.com
Real Name
Andrew
Ive got about 30 aquariums - all heavily planted - no co2 - ADA aqua soil or the better deal Fluval Stratum. I breed and sell guppies , endlers and shrimp online - you can google my name. You've got me beat only been doing this for about 20 years. But look ive got to go - if i decide i have something to gain from a passive aggressive pissing match with a stranger online- ill remember to PM you C;image0.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store