Rope fish with angelfish in 120 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishForThought

Registered Member
Jun 20, 2021
Heya there fellow aquamates!

Just checking in your thoughts about my plan, if it's doable or not. (heads up, not a native English speaker so there might be some - or many - errors, sorry about that)

I'm going to pick up a new 120 gallon tank (biggest one yet, I've had Nanos and one bigger, approximately 90 gallon tank before) and plan on the following :

For set up: sandy substrate on the bottom with rocks (preferably cave-like assembly), driftwood and few low light plants to get some shaded areas. I'm going to add either acrylic or pvc platform with 1-2 inch edge on the other side, approximately in the middle of the tank (middle in height), where I'm going to put substrate with some more plants (the tank is 5 feet in length btw).

Now as for the fish, I was planning to go with 2 rope fish and 3-4 angelfish. I've heard multiple different stories about this, some people saying that that's a no go since angels can be quite aggressive and territorial, but others saying they get along nicely since rope fish rarely bothers the angels.

Would this be okay or should I prepare backup tank for the angels in case they don't get along? I'm well aware that rope fish can be really sensitive with water parameters and I don't mind doing some extra work with maintenance, so cleaning and frequent water changes won't be a problem.

Noroom4shoe

AC Members
Jun 10, 2021
I think it would work. Angelfish are not that aggressive usually. I suppose if you ended up with 2 mated pairs and they both start breeding.... A back up tank is always nice to have for any fish if possible. About the platform - I have set up a platform on both sides of my tank. I have found sturdy glass but unused candleholders, "found at a thrift store" they are carefully set in a triangle and they hold a peice of slate rock 8 inches high. I did it for my loaches, but many species of fish love to hide and rest and explore under there.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Heya there fellow aquamates!

Just checking in your thoughts about my plan, if it's doable or not. (heads up, not a native English speaker so there might be some - or many - errors, sorry about that)

I'm going to pick up a new 120 gallon tank (biggest one yet, I've had Nanos and one bigger, approximately 90 gallon tank before) and plan on the following :

For set up: sandy substrate on the bottom with rocks (preferably cave-like assembly), driftwood and few low light plants to get some shaded areas. I'm going to add either acrylic or pvc platform with 1-2 inch edge on the other side, approximately in the middle of the tank (middle in height), where I'm going to put substrate with some more plants (the tank is 5 feet in length btw).

Now as for the fish, I was planning to go with 2 rope fish and 3-4 angelfish. I've heard multiple different stories about this, some people saying that that's a no go since angels can be quite aggressive and territorial, but others saying they get along nicely since rope fish rarely bothers the angels.

Would this be okay or should I prepare backup tank for the angels in case they don't get along? I'm well aware that rope fish can be really sensitive with water parameters and I don't mind doing some extra work with maintenance, so cleaning and frequent water changes won't be a problem.
As long as you’re able to make sure the slower eating ropes get food, you should be fine. Ropes can be escape artists, so be careful of that

AngrySteve

AC Members
Jul 22, 2021
Real Name
Steven
I've kept rope fish with African cichlids never any problems and I now have 2 ropes with an angel and a bichir and the angel stays middle to top of tank ropes swim all over tank and even lay with the bichir (ropes are in bichir family) I'd say go for it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store