Rough Start to my Planted Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dansnyder

freshwater hobbiest
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Real Name
Dan Snyder
Obviously I'm a novice so just to clear up the situation, the plant I bought is actually a "dwarf amazon sword". Sorry all... Does this change the situation significantly in terms of needs? From what I read they're fairly lenient in terms of lighting needs...

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
The reason why i suggest doing 1-2 bulbs is because when setting up a planted tank you have much more room for error with lower light because your plant demands will be much lower. Therefore if you don't have good diffusion of co2 or dose ferts your tank won't be over run with algae. I would set up a balance first try to get some good growth for 2-3 weeks try to work on your co2 diffusion (there are many ways you can mix co2 with water my personal favorite is the co2 mist method where you put an air stone under the intake of a water pump. Next step try to dial in your fertalizers. If you still want your growth to be faster then increase your lighting. This should be the last step.

Just remember the higher the light the more demanding your plants become.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
Bury the roots and use a Jobes palm and fern spike,(for houseplants).

Many plants will have most or all the leaves die when you first put them in, especially when they are the plants that come in the tubes because the leaves have been out of the water. New leaves will be fine.

dansnyder

freshwater hobbiest
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Real Name
Dan Snyder
The reason why i suggest doing 1-2 bulbs is because when setting up a planted tank you have much more room for error with lower light because your plant demands will be much lower. Therefore if you don't have good diffusion of co2 or dose ferts your tank won't be over run with algae. I would set up a balance first try to get some good growth for 2-3 weeks try to work on your co2 diffusion (there are many ways you can mix co2 with water my personal favorite is the co2 mist method where you put an air stone under the intake of a water pump. Next step try to dial in your fertalizers. If you still want your growth to be faster then increase your lighting. This should be the last step.
This seems like a very good suggestion. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the live plant world so I definitely need a starting point and this seems to be a good idea. I'll keep the light at a reasonable level (2 bulbs) until I get good growth. I'll hold off from buying plants until I get a hold on the process.

Can I get the Jobes fert spikes at lowes or some store like that?

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Yeah you can get them there. you may also consider Osmocote. I use Osmocote and love it. Never tried The Jobes sticks although i know of plenty of people who have used them with great success.

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
Hello DUB, :frog:
Please tell us about your use of Osmocote in the tank. I have this at home for my houseplants as it is a slow release fertilizer.
How much do you use per med. size plant?
How often to do re-plenish each plant with fertilizer?
Tell us all UR dirty little under water secrets, please. :y220d:

dansnyder

freshwater hobbiest
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Real Name
Dan Snyder
With lower lighting requirements I can easily turn down the temps on my tank. Thanks for the advice. Once I get things stable I'll try it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store