Roundish Fish suggestion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RCA

AC Members
Jan 16, 2003
California
Visit site
Hello!

I have a 25 gallon tank with mostly small, elongated fish such as cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras, and a few congo tetras.

I would like some suggestions for some fish that are more round in shape, big or small fish, and also mostly peaceful fish. I think it would give my tank a more interesting look.

Thanks in advance!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If your tetras are adults, a single angel might be a good addition. Not really round, but a different elongation from tetras.

Gouramies are a bit rounder, but might not be compatible.

Not too many fish with a round-ish shape that won't quickly outgrow a 25, or pose a serious threat to your tetras. You could look into the SA puffer. These are club shaped, and will get to a fair size but not huge. They are true FW, and tend to be peaceful, but may make a snack out of small fish. I wouldn't trust it with any small fish--just adults, in a tank packed with hiding places.

wetmanNY

AC Members
Hatchetfish are a contrast. So are miniature Loricariid cats (not big "plecos"). If your water is soft, Farlowella ("Twig catfish") are a very dramatic contrast. Otocinclus catfish are a good contrast too.

If you don't mind a world-mix tank, Asia and Amazon, Kuhli loaches are a great contrast.

Get four or more hatchetfish, otos or kuhlis: they're sociable and pine in solitude....

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
-black tetras
-bleeding heart tetras
-angelfish
-dwarf gouramis

chris-in-sf

AC Members
Jan 31, 2003
San Francisco
blog.chrissipe.com
a Pearl Gourami would be peaceful and more rounded than tetras, and would fit in a 25 gallon.

A single male betta would be nice, agression depends on individual, but chances are he and the Tetras would ignore each other. also easy to find and colorful.

You didn't specify swimming level, but cories are a great addition to any Tetra tank, peaceful, food cleaners, and round.

- chris

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store