Rummy Nose Tetras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gwengwen12345678

AC Members
Aug 25, 2020
I started a new 20 gallon tank about 3 weeks ago (all cycled and such) and have a mix of real and artificial plants.

But I'm having issues keeping the Rummy Nose Tetras alive. All water parameters are set specifically for rummy nose since they were what I had decided on before even setting up the tank. I finally picked up 6 RNTs and 5 Bloody Mary Shrimp. The first two days, all the tetras were looking great. Bright red noses, high contrast tails, swimming, schooling, and eating well. Then following day, one tetra began swimming in a corkscrew pattern and didn't seem to be able to straighten his body out and died a few hours later. The remaining fish (and shrimp) all still looked great. Then again the day after that, another tetra started to change his behavior. He started getting a bit left behind by the school and would hang out in a back corner of the tank, only schooling occasionally. He didn't eat anything at their morning feeding but seemed to be schooling better a few hours later. Then, within about two hours, he stopped swimming pretty much at all, and just let the current in the tank float him around until he eventually passed.

There are no visible signs of disease like spots or lumps. I know RNTs can be pretty delicate but I'm testing the water everyday and don't see anything that could causing them to die off.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC

Can you please tell us your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH...well, everything! We need to know to help you. Did you cycle the tank before getting fish? If so how did you do that? 3 weeks is, hmm, well, pretty fast for true cycling...

There a big difference between wild caught fish (unlikely) & farm raised fish. There may also be a big difference from your shop & your tank...even if you live close...

Can you post a pic yet? That may help us help you too. Some signs are subtle, very hard to say what might be wrong.

I'm sorry you're having difficulties, we will try to help if we can.

Reactions: Sprinkle

gwengwen12345678

AC Members
Aug 25, 2020
Thanks for replying so quick! I've been using Seachem Stability as well to help prevent any spikes with the addition of the fish.

Here are my water parameters:
78.1 degree F
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0
pH = 7.5
KH = 90
GH = 110
Ammonia = 0

I acclimated them to the tank by putting the bag in the water for 30 minutes for the water temp in the bag to match the tank, then every 5 minutes after that added about 3 TBS of water from the tank to the bag, for another 30 minutes. Then scooped the fish out of the bag and put them in the tank without adding any of the bag water to the tank.

I'm attempting to take a picture of them but they move so quick it's difficult haha.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Hey Gwen, did you happen to test the bag water before acclimating the rummies? From a local shop I often do like you...

But did you cycle your tank before getting fish? It often takes 6-8 weeks to grow the beneficial bacteria to help deal with ammonia & nitrite. I think maybe you didn't, you were probably given bad advice. I'm sorry.

My best suggestion right now is to do large water changes every day, like at LEAST 50%...or more!! I know it'll be hard work but your tank is pretty small.

Your water is too hard for "wild" rummies but I bet yours were farmed so not as much of a problem...I have hopes for your fish but don't slack off now.

I use Prime dechlorinater it helps with "binding" the ammonia. What dechlor are you using?

gwengwen12345678

AC Members
Aug 25, 2020
I didn't even think about testing the bag water. I'll make a note and do that from now on if I get more fish.

I am also using Prime. Yea, the store told me as long as I am using the Stability while for the next few weeks there shouldn't be an issue with not having enough beneficial bacteria :/ I'm annoyed that this isn't the case.

I definitely think they are farm raised rummies since they shop always identifies those which are wild. What would you suggest to get the water hardness down a little bit though? Just to be safe.

I'll start changing out half the water everyday. Fingers crossed the little guys survive.

Thank you for all of you help!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OMG, not another Stability/cycling thread. Sorry Gwen, you can't know how this irks me & some others... While I like many SeaChem products, I truly HATE that they act like Stability helps cycle a tank. It doesn't have the correct bacteria you need. It takes 6-8 weeks WITH Stability... or without it, meh. Only Dr. Tim's 1 & Only or Tetra Safe start can actually help (not Tetra Safe, it just a dechlor).

I know this is confusing for you...please just do big water changes of at LEAST 50%, or more everyday. Prime helps bind ammonia & to some extent nitrite...Stability seems to do nothing much...except harm your wallet from what I read...I've never used it or anything else to cycle a tank except a friend's filter media or my own.

Sorry for the rant, this is becoming a recurrent issue more & more often. I truly wish you & your fish good luck & good water changing...keep it up!! You CAN do it!

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I am also using Prime. Yea, the store told me as long as I am using the Stability while for the next few weeks there shouldn't be an issue with not having enough beneficial bacteria :/ I'm annoyed that this isn't the case.
Hello Gwen, well, unfortunately here's another lie, Seachem products are great, but tank cycling continues the same way as ever: Patience.
Tetras are sensitive to high parameters, follow the advice of fishorama, and if you can get a biological strain from an already established system it would be great, and personally I would advise you to ask here in the forum before trying to advise you in the store, usually They seek to profit in sales.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I agree with F fishorama , cycling a tank takes up to 6-8 weeks, maybe bit more if something gets stuck. Lack of nitrates is usually sign of uncycled tank, I'd recommend you doing a 75% and see if he perks up.
Yes, your water is too hard for rummynose tetras, just like all the tetras, they need soft water.
When cycling a tank with fish in, you will have to test your water for ammonia (NH3/NH4) and nitrite (NO2) everyday and cut down on feeding your fish.
There is a "rule", a rule but not quite, that every user of any forum will say: 'Never trust stores, they look like they know evrything about fish, but the truth is that they want to make a sale, only money matters to them, not wellbeing of fish or any other pets'
Honestly, I have heard one employee of my local store say that goldfish "will be fine" in a 30 LITRE tank, the truth is they won't be fine.
Its really sad for me to see fish suffer, because stores and most people have no real knowledge about fish.
Always go on forums, no one here will mind you asking thousands of questions. We'll always be happy to answer even the most stupidest question you have got there :D

gwengwen12345678

AC Members
Aug 25, 2020
Thanks for all the help and support! I should have come here before I even began thinking about setting up my tank. I feel terrible that I am causing my little fish to die due to my own ignorance about how to take care of them. I did do research before and even made myself laminated notes and care instructions but Stability was talked up so much in the store (and even online) that I thought it was ok.

The only person I know with a stable tank has a saltwater tank, so I'm guessing that I wouldn't be able to since my tank if fresh water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store