Rummy Nose white spots (ich)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sud_srv

Registered Member
Aug 5, 2020
Hi. I brought few Rummy nise tetra fishes two days back. Kept them in a stablished planted tank on 22 galons with other neon tetras. It has an golden algae earter too.
Today i see white dots on two of them all over the body n fins. Not sure what it is..is it ich..where did it get from..in my tank or alreadi it had since i bought them..not sure.
They are not behaving unusual..jst they r little shy n not eating any stuff.
I am worried if they will infect other fishes in tank. So kept them in a quarentine bowl.
Can some one confirm if it is an itch or smthing else.. how to cure it. Thanks in advance for ur help. I have attached images.

IMG_20200805_152732.jpg

IMG_20200805_152618.jpg

IMG_20200805_152612.jpg

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
That is ick alright. Putting them in your tank with your other fishes was not a good idea. It is always better to have them in quarantine for a while.
You dont have to worry about the neons being infected because they already are. By the time ick is visible on the fishes bodies, their gills are full of the parasite.
Need to treat the whole tank (I would use high temp, salt and any of a number of products available, along with hefty and frequent water changes, with replacement of medicine). I like rid-ick, but others are fine. High temperature is the main thing. Make sure to have plenty of water movement (for gas exchange), due to the high temp. Your biological filter may be affected with the medicine, hence the hefty and frequent water changes.
Hopefully they will come around but there may be loses. Both neons and rummynoses seem to be particularly sensitive, so treatment should begin immediately.
Where did it come from? Who knows (could have been there, or brought with the new fishes). It is almost always around but isn't a problem until conditions (stress n some fish) present themselves, and then it is an all out infection.

Reactions: sud_srv

sud_srv

Registered Member
Aug 5, 2020
F FJB : thanks mate for confirming. I am new to this hobby of fish tanks. By the timeI read your reply I have already isolated them in a separate tank. Raised the temprature to 80F and added almost a tea spoon salt to 2 galons of water as was recommended by other on this issue on net.
It has been 24 hours. No reduction in spots. And still see them not eating any stuff.. but yeah they dont seem to be flashy or behaving unusual coz of ich. M planning to get medicines may be tomm. Its a lockdown so not much shops open these days.
Bt really thanks for ur valuable response.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You need to understand the lifecycle of ich. It's on the fish, then falls off into the substrate & then becomes free swimming in the water to reinfect the fish. FJB is right, you need to treat the entire tank, it's too late to isolate them. Salt is 1 way, I'm not a believer in high temps as a cure although it does speed up the ich lifecycle. I'm very old school & have used dyes like malachite (Victoria) green or methylene blue but I haven't had ich in many years. DO NOT stop treatment (whatever you choose) when the spots are gone on the fish. You need to go at least 10 -14 days beyond that point.

You should vacuum your substrate every day or at least every other day to remove as much as you can, but don't forget to redose to the amount of water you remove. Read the instructions!!

sud_srv

Registered Member
Aug 5, 2020
You need to understand the lifecycle of ich. It's on the fish, then falls off into the substrate & then becomes free swimming in the water to reinfect the fish. FJB is right, you need to treat the entire tank, it's too late to isolate them. Salt is 1 way, I'm not a believer in high temps as a cure although it does speed up the ich lifecycle. I'm very old school & have used dyes like malachite (Victoria) green or methylene blue but I haven't had ich in many years. DO NOT stop treatment (whatever you choose) when the spots are gone on the fish. You need to go at least 10 -14 days beyond that point.

You should vacuum your substrate every day or at least every other day to remove as much as you can, but don't forget to redose to the amount of water you remove. Read the instructions!!
F fishorama : thanks for advice :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I see you've posted in Coldwater fish, but you have tropical fish. You will get better advice in the general freshwater forum. If I hadn't seen rummynose in your thread title I doubt I would ever have seen it, but FJB did! We all try to help as best we can.

Good luck with your ich treatment. Let us know how you get on with it, fingers crossed. Caught early & treated well enough, ich is not the worst of fish diseases. You can beat it!

sud_srv

Registered Member
Aug 5, 2020
Hi F fishorama . I feel sad to convey you that those two rummy nose were bot able to make out and passed away in the quarentine tank few hours bqck. :( Looks like it was too late.
Observation:
The main tank from which I have isolated them has no sign of ICH on other fishesh yet. it has been more than 60 hours since those rummy nose were detected with ICH and isolated from main tank. It was just like 8 hours for which they were in the main tank before going to quarentine. So either they were carrying it on them since previous time or I guess they were under too much stress coz of water change, mate changes and temp change. I have a heater but my Neon tetras and golden algae eaters are doing pretty well without heater from long time so m not turning on the heater.its 22-24C here most if the time. But that confidence made me loose those two poor rummy nose.
Fingers crossed for my other tank fishes :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm sorry you lost the rummies. Keep a VERY close eye on the other fish. Both prefer cooler water than rummies so temp.-wise you're good. If you see even 1 ich spot start treatment right away. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store