SAE or not?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Looks SAE-ish, but after it settles in longer in a healthy environment it will be easier to tell. I hope this is a 55g tank at a minimum. I've got 2 SAEs in mine and they are like flying kielbasas. I've had mine for 3yrs. They're 5-6" long and fat.

Bearded_keeper

AC Members
Jul 20, 2016
Looks SAE-ish, but after it settles in longer in a healthy environment it will be easier to tell. I hope this is a 55g tank at a minimum. I've got 2 SAEs in mine and they are like flying kielbasas. I've had mine for 3yrs. They're 5-6" long and fat.
That pictures was taken when I had it in my 10 gallon tank. I just moved it to my 50 gallon. Guess I'll just have to wait and see, I want to go buy another, but aren't sure if it's a true SAE. LFS had them labeled as flying Foxes.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I don't see the a gold line above the black and it looks like a saw-tooth pattern to the edges of the black stripe. I'd say SAE and not FF.

SAEs are very entertaining in groups of 3+, but you have to have the room for them. They're fast and spazzy at times. Total hogs at feeding time as well. They love any/all fish food.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The stripe edges looks more "serrated" than in the other pics, so I'm going with SAE. LFS often call them flying fox SAEs just to cover all the bases. True "foxes" , like Joel said, have a definite gold stripe above the very solid smooth black line. There are several very similar species to SAE, have a look at the SAE post at the top of this page for some more confusion, lol.

Yours is of the social kind but 1 is ok on it's own, just 2 may fight a bit...but usually just over food, nothing serious, they are piglets...but active & attractive & much prefer fish food to algae IME unless very hungry. Mine ate constantly, grazed algae but never really got rid of it all, just kinda kept it in check for the most part in a 75g 4ft tank

Bearded_keeper

AC Members
Jul 20, 2016
Thanks guys, I was about 80% sure it was an SAE.I think I've had enough SAE research for now, lol.
For $5, I'll definitely go pick up another.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
looks like SAE, people think they will help them with algae problems, might not be the case. when they are small 1-2 inches they do eat algae, but when they get a taste for fish food and grow bigger they get lazy and mostly go for the fish food.

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store