Safety of canister filters????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GTK

AC Members
I've just ordered a Fluval 404, and it's the first time I've used a filter other than a hang-on. I must admit I'm a little nervous about all those hoses outside the tank -- like what if a hose comes loose and pumps 75 gallons of water into the room. Has anyone had any problems like this? Any advice to make sure it won't happen? Thanks!!

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
You can very easily make a minor adjustment to any canister filter that will eliminate the possibility of your tank draining onto the floor.

On the intake tube, drill a small hole in the tanks side of the intake, about an inch below the water line. If the tank water level ever drops below the hole, the intake will suck air thru the hole and break the syphon, preventing much water from draining.

It is usually not necessary to do this on the outlet hose, as most outlets discharge near the surface. If yours discharges deeper into the tank, a hole can be drilled into the outlet tube an inch or so below the water line.

Obviously, if your filter were running and the water level dropped too low, you'd run the risk of harming your filter. That shouldn't be a problem unless you're tank is open and loses a lot of water to evaporation. Something to consider when you choose where to drill the hole. Still, I'd rather lose a filter than have 75 gallons seeping thru the floor....

HTH,
Jim

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
If you are worried about the connections down below, on most filters you can simply put hose clamps there. The standard tubing that comes with the Fluval doesn't work with hose clamps. SO if you use that tubing you just have to hope. If you want you can switch that tubing to 5/8" i.d clear tubing. It works better because it doesn't clog like the Fluval stuff does. But, you would have to get new inputs and outputs since the Fluval ones use the tubing for the angle, they don't stay in place..........Can you return the filter?

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Originally posted by JSchmidt
You can very easily make a minor adjustment to any canister filter that will eliminate the possibility of your tank draining onto the floor.

On the intake tube, drill a small hole in the tanks side of the intake, about an inch below the water line. If the tank water level ever drops below the hole, the intake will suck air thru the hole and break the syphon, preventing much water from draining.

HTH,
Jim
I love this idea! Just be prepared to tape the hole when doing water changes (if you like leaving the filter running like I do!).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store