Sailfin Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Charlesr1958

Working DiveMaster
Oct 30, 2004
Philippines
www.chucksaddiction.com
I admire your action. and agree a sailfin tang is way to large for a 55.
but it brings into question some concers as well.
captive fish being release back into the wild.
I was always under the impression that is a bad idea. pathogens etc that captive fish may be exposed to.
not to try and be off topic but I wonder how others feel about it.
That is a very real concern, however, My fish, corals, rocks, sand and every drop of water all come from one location that I dive/snorkel on twice a week and have never seen a holding tank or anyone elses tank for that matter. Everything goes from the ocean to my tank in a matter of an hour or two. When I do return fish or corals, they go back to the same exact spot I got them from. Never had a disease either, fish or coral. I also just returned an elegance coral since it grew far too large for my tank, was taking over the entire left side. It is out on the reef to where I will see it each time I head out so that I can check on it as I pass by.

My Reef Tour

Chuck

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
That is so cool that you live in an area where you dive and see all of the inhabitants that typically populate our hobby reef tanks. I think it is a great idea that you are doing this and returning them to where they belong.

I live in Florida, and I am a diver as well. Here in the Carribean we get some nice stuff, but nothing like the Pacific Ocean, where all the GREAT stuff comes from. Also, it is illegal here, I don't want to even go there, I read about people down in the Keys getting busted all the time for trying to harvest Florida Riccordia, which is protected, it makes me sick. Most people don't realize that trying to harvest someting yourself winds up doing more harm and that is how we can get die-off on a reef. I am not saying you do that Charles, I am just speaking in general.

I wish more people would just realize that there tank is meant to be a replica of a "litle" tiny piece of the worlds oceans and reefs, not some place where the uninformed can just put anything in that they want just because it looks pretty, or because they want it.

I think it is great that people come here and post BEFORE they do something and learn, that is what this is really all about. Everyone learning from each others experiences to better our own experience and knowledge while being responsible in enjoying our hobby, our passion.

Ok, I will shut up now, Anyways, back the regularly scheduled (posted) thread.

Great thread.

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
A 55 gal tank is far to small for a sailfin tang, and just about every other species of tangs as well. I just recently released a sailfin tang back onto the reefs since it quickly out grew my 80 gal tank.

Chuck
A sailfin really doesn't stand out like other tangs. I had one and if I remember correct he was pretty agressive.

missc4

Fishy love
Mar 14, 2007
VA
I personally wouldn't consider the sailfin as aggressive.My sailfin is very easy going,,almost shy like.There coloring doesn't make them stand out like the others but there gracefullness more than makes up for it..can you tell my sailfin is my favorite...lol..I have three tangs and there is something about a sailfin that makes me wont to bring everyone I see home with me.The yellow tangs,,now those are the aggressive fish..lol

angel626

AC Members
Apr 21, 2007
Thannks for the info. That is great to know. My husband really wants a yellow tang and we were talking to the LFS about an alternative that would work in our tank and he suggested the sailfin. It sounds like the sailfin would definatly not work. What about a mimic yellow tang?

emurphy

Registered Member
Oct 3, 2007
I just got a sailfin for my 75 gal , it's small now , if /when it gets too big , I'll have to find a new home for it - I don't have a protien skimmer in this tank , just mechanical filtration & live rock !

Rewd

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
Joizey
Thannks for the info. That is great to know. My husband really wants a yellow tang and we were talking to the LFS about an alternative that would work in our tank and he suggested the sailfin. It sounds like the sailfin would definatly not work. What about a mimic yellow tang?
Kole tangs (yellow-eyed tang) don't get too big. Still gets too large for a 55 IMO but if you're dead-set on a tang I'd check this one out. They aren't as "pretty" as a yellow but definitely cool looking in their own right.

chucke

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
York, Pa
Hey Chuck This is a serious Thought! Can i come there on my honeymoon ?? Would you like me Scuba? Paying of course! It would be september 08

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
The yellow tang is what I had in mind as a possible, but even then, thats pushing it a bit. I just wish peaple could see tangs out on the reefs, its like sitting on the side of a highway with tangs passing by and quickly going out of sight. They need and use vast areas each day. Even the largest of home aquariums must seem so small to them.

Chuck

I agree, but this wont make people stop keeping tangs. Fact is they have a good survival rate in home aquariums, and they are very nice looking.. i dont think people will ever stop keeping them... so my opinion on it is if you cant beat em, join em. I own a tang =).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store