salt water shrimp for fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
i read that shrimp could be fed to gouramis, but it did not specify if it was freshwater or salt water shrimp. I bought salt water shrimp, but I want to make sure that it will not negatively affect my fish and if i can feed them, how do i prepare the shrimp. right now i have it in the freezer.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've often fed "brine shrimp" to many fish as a treat. It shouldn't have any effect on your water that way. If you're worried, you can rinse them under running tap water in a brine shrimp net. The nets are very fine so even baby brine shrimp should work. It's really not too hard to feed this way.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Should be just fine.
Many freshwater flakes and pellets contain saltwater ingredients :)
I feed brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, and calanus (a type of tiny crustacean from the arctic ocean) to all my freshwater fish

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Huh, I've never heard of calanus, I'm going to look them up!

None of my fish ever liked thawed frozen mysis...Too big, too salty? Something...

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I've often fed "brine shrimp" to many fish as a treat. It shouldn't have any effect on your water that way. If you're worried, you can rinse them under running tap water in a brine shrimp net. The nets are very fine so even baby brine shrimp should work. It's really not too hard to feed this way.
huh i did not know brine shrimp was salt water, but i meant shrimp shrimp:
1651717058048.png
still searching how to prepare it for fish

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, SF bay shrimp, they're grown in SF bay...not too far from me. Heavy brackish I think. I'd rinse them...

Big shrimp, I chop into tiny bite size bits & rinse if you think it needs it. I don't rinse my personal people shrimp dinner ;), my husband opts out. My mother thought they were like "water bugs" & was grossed out by shrimp, lobster etc. We all may have an "eww" point but if it's ok for you...go for it! Our fish are not that fussy...if in bite size. Try it & see...& be ready to do a big water change/vacuum if your fish don't eat it in a short while

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Yes you can feed grocery store shrimp. Doesn't even need to be cooked. Cut it super tiny for small fish.

I occasionally give a chunk of these to my plecos lol

F fishorama The brand I use is Piscine Energetics, and the calanus STINKS. Smelliest stuff ever, but the fish seem to enjoy it all the same. A little pricy though, so I use it sparingly as a treat.

lnsaneM

AC Members
Oct 22, 2022
all shrimp are fine. I feed my fish shrimp, you just have to cut them small enough for the fish to eat it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store