Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Saltwater tank size?

Discussion in 'General Marine / Newbie' started by Community Tank, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Community Tank

Community Tank AC Members

Today at 9:22 AM
    I have been keeping freshwater fish for quite some time now, and I would really like to try saltwater. I really do not have room for a very large tank (like 75+ gallons). What would be your recommended size?

2. authmal

authmal Pseudonovice

Today at 11:20 AM
    That's going to be a hard one for people to answer. We don't know what size you have space to keep, nor what size you're *inclined* to keep. Saltwater, IMO, is more of an investment in time, cost, and effort (assuming you don't have your own RODI setup, for example) than freshwater, but the fish are generally much prettier.

The same rule of thumb for tank sizing applies to both fresh and salt: the larger the tank, the more room for error. When a small tank starts having water quality issues, it goes downhill fast. My 10 gallon betta tank had a shrimp death, and in hours (2 shrimp at bed time, 1 and a shrimp tail right before lunch), ammonia was at 1.0 or so. Fortunately, I was home, and noticed odd behavior from some tetras that are in with him. On my 55, that would have been a much smaller spike, just due to sheer water volume. And that volume packs much more beneficial bacteria, so it may have evened out before I noticed.

The better question is what do *you* think you're capable of and willing to handle? Then, some advice can be given. Unfortunately, I'm not really a saltwater guy, I just admire them and have learned a few things through observation. I can even answer some hardware questions, but stocking, especially corals, I won't go near. I just lack the familiarity.

Looking at some recent activity, it looks like the people I'd be inclined to lean on for information haven't been on in a few days. Be patient, and they'll come by and will happily advise.

Personally, I'd go in decreasing preference for tank size (again, pending on what you're wanting to deal with and only referencing fairly standard sizing) 75>40 breeder, 29, 55, 20 long, 10. Bowfronts are nice options, and there are some biocubes that are fairly non-standard in size, but may fit your needs. I think some of those even come with built in sumps, which not only filter, but being that they also hold water, they help give you a larger body of water, so parameters won't swing as wildly.

#2 authmal, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Community Tank likes this.
  3. Community Tank

Community Tank AC Members

Today at 9:22 AM
    I am looking to get a tank that is not so small it has really high chances to cause problems, but not so large that it costs a fortune to maintain. I was thinking around 50 gallons would be good. I already have a 50 fresh, so size wise, I know what to expect.

4. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

Jessica
    Today at 12:32 AM
    Jessica
    As all tanks, even fresh water, the bigger the better.

5. authmal

authmal Pseudonovice

So, you've got your recommendation! :D

Now comes the hard part of deciding what route to take, Fish Only, Fish Only w/Live Rock, or Reef. I'm not sure if there are other options, but that's what my brain says. And you need to decide on whether or not to go with a sump. All kinds of fun stuff.

And then will be the harder part of what to stock with. :confused:

6. dougall

dougall ...

Today at 3:56 PM
    You could go with invert only too...

Personally I would quite like a herd of pompom crabs... But that is just me.

And irrespective of the contents and size of the tank, stocking it appropriately, keeping it covered and meeting the needs of the inhabitants will be most important

7. authmal

authmal Pseudonovice

Oh, yeah. Covering a saltwater tank is more of an issue, because evaporation can cause your salinity levels to climb (in case you didn't know, the salt won't evaporate) due to loss of water, and that can be harmful to your fish.