Sand and slate for mawli

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

palehorse78

not your average fishman
Sep 14, 2002
Atlanta
i have decided iam going to use sand for my mawli tank.whats the best kind i was thinking pool sand. but ive heard you can get a black sand i think it was refered to as sand blasting sand and for cheap. and were could find a lot of slate in atlanta.i have did some serches on the net but keep comming up with roofing companys.one more question i dont want a sand thats going to cloud up my water i heard that play sand is natoriuos for that.and will i need a powerhead on an african tank.TIA

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
Play sand would just need to be rinsed very very well to keep the clouding down. As far as black sand goes, I'm not sure of a good place to get it. But slate I have had the easiest time finding sold in 1'x1' tiles for flooring. If your local home store doesn't have them, you might be able to find them at a natural stone flooring retailer. You can usually pick them up for around $1 a tile around here at Home Depot.

Last edited:

palehorse78

not your average fishman
Sep 14, 2002
Atlanta
yes i think they have it in homedepot but i want a more natrUL looking slate i might just have to buy some and break it up my self.what kind of rock is natrualy in the mawli lake

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store