Sand and snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MikeO

AC Members
Dec 7, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
www.mikeoconnor.net
Are there any snails that can live in a tank with a sand base? I have setup a 10 gallon tanks with a sand base (I want to get a female betta for it, but right now that plan is on hold indefinitely because I am using it as a hospital tank for an injured Tetra) When I put some snails in it they all died in lest then a few hours, the tetra that is being rehabbed in it is doing fine, so I know the water quality probably did not kill the snails? So is there any snails that can live in a tank with sand?

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
I have some gold mystery snails in my sand tank right now and they're growing like crazy! Not only that, they're like busy bodies. They're almost always cruising around my tank.

I like the mystery snails because they normally don't reproduce in captivity and they're fun to watch.

And this thought comes to mind, if you've used any medication on that tetra that has copper in it ... the snails are doomed! They're very, very senstivie to copper.

(Run carbon to get rid of the copper.)

MikeO

AC Members
Dec 7, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
www.mikeoconnor.net
Well the snails died before I put the medication in so the type of medication is moot, and besides after the tetra is better and moved back to the community tank I will be doing a few 100% water changes before I put any other fish in. Even though the tetra is only wouned and not really sick, but I don't want to medicate any new fish unless it is really needed.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
malaysian trumpet snails are very good for sand tanks they will stir up the sand as they burrow through it

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
ramshorn snails have a flat spiral shell instead of a cone shaped one that comes to a point on one side. the big ones (colombian) are gold or brown/gold striped, small ones are solid brown or red.

miguelitro

AC Members
Sep 23, 2004
San Diego CA
I have a sand substrat and whatever snails hitchhiked in on on my anacaris are loving life, growing, and eating all the leftover food, some plants, all the dead plants.
They are smaller than a dime transparent, slightly yellowish shell with brown spots, their shells are flat on the sides twisting towards their center...I have no idea what they are....

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
Personally, I don't think it was the sand that killed your snail. Unless there's some sort of heavy metal in your sand. I've never kept ramshorns in any of my tanks, but I find them in the sandy parts of the river all the time.

You seem very defensive about your water quality. I'm not saying that for sure it's bad water quality that killed your snail, but I will say that most inverts are a lot more sensitive to water quality than most fish are. If a snail had died in my sand tank, I'd suspect something in the water first. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

MikeO

AC Members
Dec 7, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
www.mikeoconnor.net
Well I am thinking it is not the water quality, since I get the water for the 10 gallon tank that I get for my other tanks, and I am on the 7th generation of these snails from the first 3 I bought. Unless there is something in the water that interacts with the sand, also I the longest lived snail in the tank was on a plant, all the snails died on the sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store