Saved 2 GSPs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Anything that goes in with your puffer will be viewed as a possible meal. Mine has picked off mollies, bumblebee gobies, and my mudskipper.

goalieman59

Gone Crazy, back soon
Jul 23, 2008
OFallon IL
Anything that goes in with your puffer will be viewed as a possible meal. Mine has picked off mollies, bumblebee gobies, and my mudskipper.
Bummer I guess I will just be those two once I get the tank resealed and setup.

zoowks

AC Members
Oct 13, 2007
Orlando
Once you have the tank established, you won't be saying bummer. :) They are great fun to watch investigate, hunt, and just to view when they sit and sleep. They have great personalities as you'll see/learn when they grow, I have one who is now verging on 4 inches. We call him fatty because of how large he is compared to the other one.

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Just to let you know wal-mart never even knew what type of fish this was, not even on there order list, I did talk to the manager and informed him that the conditions of the tanks were cruel and they need to be by themselves.
Walmart should be avoided in general. They sell fish like pacu's and clown knifes.. Irregardless of if you bought a fish they knew about you still bought a fish and that will in turn = more fish coming in.

Certain stores should not sell fish. This is nothing against you.. just try to support your LFS in the future ;)

goalieman59

Gone Crazy, back soon
Jul 23, 2008
OFallon IL
Walmart should be avoided in general. They sell fish like pacu's and clown knifes.. Irregardless of if you bought a fish they knew about you still bought a fish and that will in turn = more fish coming in.

Certain stores should not sell fish. This is nothing against you.. just try to support your LFS in the future ;)
I do support my LFS, this is the first and last time I will ever buy a fish from walmart. I spend way too much money at my local fish store, which by the way is almost an hour drive. But well worth the drive. I just felt bad and knew I could give them a better home than walmart.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
While it's nice that you are doing the right thing for these puffers, I'd recommend discussing the deplorable fish conditions witht he managers rather than encouraging them to perpetuate them by buying livestock.

I discuss the betta bowls, GSPs, Violet Gobies, Pacus and Oscar labels & housing pretty regularly w/ my local WM management. To their credit, I only rarely see GSPs & Violet Gobies in there anymore... still need to work on those tags claiming RBPacus grow to 10"...

PS - I agree w/ the above - from what I've read, the puffers will eventually hunt down & kill just about anything else you could put in there (that doesn't kill the puffers 1st), so plan on a species tank. Having lots of visual barriers in tank (tall plants etc.) will help keep aggression between the two down somewhat, but don;t be surprised if you are in need of a home or another tank for one of 'em later.

Last edited:

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Please read that article I linked you to. It would have saved you a lot of typing. ;)

goalieman59

Gone Crazy, back soon
Jul 23, 2008
OFallon IL
Please read that article I linked you to. It would have saved you a lot of typing. ;)
I did read the article you liked me too, it was quite informative thanks for that. Now the question becomes how should I set up the filters on the tank on canister of the two HOB filters?

destined_love7

Aquariaholic
Sep 27, 2007
Just wanted to say that I had a GSP with some bumble bee gobies, a knight goby, flounders, even ghost shrimp, and it didn't bother any of them. Really, it depends on the temperament of the fish. And I did have MTS in the tank as well. The GSP didn't bother the larger ones, but was known to pick off a baby or 2 (the shells are softer). I bought the ghost shrimp as feeders and the goofy thing treated them like entertainment. Just sat there on his perch watching them.

If you can get a bunch of pond snails and put them in a small tank (the filtered ones sold as beta tanks) the will more than supply enough too keep the beak trimmed back. I also fed blood worms and freeze dried brine shrimp.

I used aquaclear filters and they did fine for me. Just thought I'd let you know about my experience...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store