Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario) with Badis Badis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cockroach

AC Members
Feb 15, 2010
The Chungle Taiwan
Has anyone had experience keeping these two species together. I have a heavily planted 55 paludarium I want to add a badis badis pair too. The is a moderate but very even flow .

Tankmates are
2 oto's which I will up to 6.
7 Glowlight Danio's (Danio choprae) will up to 8.
2 (a pair) Scarlet Badis
A handful of blue dream shrimp

The water flow keeps most of the fish busy and the rock wall and heavy planting, with additional cave sites, and crevices, give ample hiding spots.
Given the size of the 2 pairs of fish, they should stay well out of each others' ways.

I am still looking for a second group of small fish to add to the "stream".

20201109_205616.jpg20201109_205626.jpg20201109_205716.jpg20201109_205749.jpg

Reactions: the loach

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I've kept both species but never together. I've always kept breeding pairs of B. badis and so never mixed them. I agree you'd probably be okay with a pair of badis as log as you have plenty of hiding places and enough unclaimed floor space for the badis to set up a home territory.

WYite

Reactions: cockroach

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Tank looks very nice indeed! Are you planning to have insects or something on the terrestrial part? I have not kept them together either but one concern might be B.badis might prey on your shrimp.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Any fish will eat shrimplets, if they can fit it the mouth, they're food, IF they can find them. I think the danios might be more of a threat than the badis (bigger mouths)...That said, if the shrimp are nervous you may never see them...but that doesn't mean the adults have all been eaten...I added cherry shrimp to my "river-ish" tank...I've never seen any ever, lol, but it's a jungle! I may never know until I tear down the tank someday...

1 thing I did was offer live black worms & there is (or was) a colony of them going in the substrate for a few years. I think my leopard danios & goby may eat them sometimes...but certainly not all...just something to think about...I like the idea of sustainable live foods...especially for fish I hope to breed. My sewellia loaches breed every year but I doubt they eat either shrimplets or black worms often...but they're available!

Again, I love your tank! & we would love to see more details on how you set it up & any updates you can give us. More pics please!!

Reactions: cockroach

cockroach

AC Members
Feb 15, 2010
The Chungle Taiwan
Tank looks very nice indeed! Are you planning to have insects or something on the terrestrial part? I have not kept them together either but one concern might be B.badis might prey on your shrimp.
no. Nothing but fish and plants in this tank as it needs to be open top to cool properly and get air circulating.

cockroach

AC Members
Feb 15, 2010
The Chungle Taiwan
Any fish will eat shrimplets, if they can fit it the mouth, they're food, IF they can find them. I think the danios might be more of a threat than the badis (bigger mouths)...That said, if the shrimp are nervous you may never see them...but that doesn't mean the adults have all been eaten...I added cherry shrimp to my "river-ish" tank...I've never seen any ever, lol, but it's a jungle! I may never know until I tear down the tank someday...

1 thing I did was offer live black worms & there is (or was) a colony of them going in the substrate for a few years. I think my leopard danios & goby may eat them sometimes...but certainly not all...just something to think about...I like the idea of sustainable live foods...especially for fish I hope to breed. My sewellia loaches breed every year but I doubt they eat either shrimplets or black worms often...but they're available!

Again, I love your tank! & we would love to see more details on how you set it up & any updates you can give us. More pics please!!
Been a hot minute sonce I updated on this forum.

Thank you.
The tank has PVC stands as support, covered in black lava rocks, crevices filled with expanding foam and covered with black silicone topped with a fine river sand.
The topright as a small waterfall that feeds a tributary that runs behind the stump and enters the tank at water level on the left side of the tank.
Behind the tributary expanded foam was carved out and filled with akadama soil with ferts and planted. Below water is epiphytes and C. Wendetii green and red.

Here is a link to the MFK thread and build.

The current stock is:
8 x dwarf chainloaches
1 x panda loach
1 x hypergastromyzon sp.
1 x stiphodon ornatus
8 x laubaka dadibujori
4 x red find danios ( Danio Khyathit)
6 x glowlight danios

Some random pics from before the hackening:
99934.jpg99937.jpg20210927_211239.jpg20210927_211239.jpg20210927_211243.jpg20210927_211300.jpg20210927_211304.jpg20210927_211438.jpg

• Love
Reactions: dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store