Scarlet badis sexing help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
I recently got what i thought was a pair of scarlet badis for my 10 gallon shrimp tank. One's colorful like i'd expect of a male and the other is kinda dull so i thought they were a male and female. But i notice the brighter colored one chasing the other away every time they see each other and im pretty sure that's not how a pair should act, so i'd like to know if they happen to be both male after all?

The second one was a lot harder to get to sit still well enough to take a good picture so i hope it's clear enough to tell.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Just a guess, I haven't kept badis. Both have long ventral fins which says male to me. In some species, the subordinate male assumes female coloration to avoid being attacked all the time.

But maybe that abdominal dot means female that's not quite mature enough to breed.

Fat lot of help right? lol

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Just a guess, I haven't kept badis. Both have long ventral fins which says male to me. In some species, the subordinate male assumes female coloration to avoid being attacked all the time.

But maybe that abdominal dot means female that's not quite mature enough to breed.

Fat lot of help right? lol
Yeah it seems like it can be either or lol. The chasing is pretty relentless, but i read that males will do that to females too if they aren't ready to breed which i thought was interesting.
I just want to know for sure so one doesn't end up dead one day, haha.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've always thought of badis as sort of mini cichlids in a way, lol. I know it's only a 10g, but do you have extra hiding places or visual barriers like lots of plants? I can't tell from your fish focused pics.

I love your fissidens, it may be the only moss I actually want anymore, I think I killed mine :( . I'm on a many years long moss hate :)

Give them some time to settle in, maybe that dot will get bigger & better...& mean something like breeding? I hope so!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
I've always thought of badis as sort of mini cichlids in a way, lol. I know it's only a 10g, but do you have extra hiding places or visual barriers like lots of plants? I can't tell from your fish focused pics.

I love your fissidens, it may be the only moss I actually want anymore, I think I killed mine :( . I'm on a many years long moss hate :)

Give them some time to settle in, maybe that dot will get bigger & better...& mean something like breeding? I hope so!
Yeah they do seem like mini cichlids lol.

I do have tons of plants in there. Also love that moss too, i like how bushy it gets, its different from a lot of other mosses and i never knew it existed lol. And the fish seem to love it too. they always swim around it and poke at the little critters that are hiding in it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store