Scarlet skun cleaner molting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiveOutLoud

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Hello all i got a cleaner shrimp today. I drip acclimated him for 2 hours then let him go. I had to leave after that. I came home to his body. I could have sworn though behind one of the rocks I saw a pair of whiskers though. How can I tell if it's his body or a molt? Thanks

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
if it's a molt, it will be completly empty and you can pull it apart. it will also look more transparent and when you pick it up, it will just sink into your hand. An actual body will do all the opposite and hold its shape.
it is probably a molt. They often do so when they are stressed.

LiveOutLoud

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
well I picked him up and he did look kindof transparent and when I picked him up his spine practically broke in two so is it safe to say it was just a molt?

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
well I picked him up and he did look kindof transparent and when I picked him up his spine practically broke in two so is it safe to say it was just a molt?
yes
They will also hide for a few days after molting to hide from predetors while their exoskeleton is soft and leave it in plain view to distract those looking for a meal. That's probably why you dont see him. But you likely will soon.

LiveOutLoud

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Ok thanks I feel alot better now didn't want to end up having killed the little guy

thincat

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
Hi all, first post for me. The same thing happened to me a few days ago. I bought a pair of banded coral shrimp and my Black and white clown was fighting with it before I went to bed. the next morning all I saw was the skeleton of one of my shrimp. I thought it got eaten by the clown. My wife pointed to the shrimps and I had a dumb look on my face. :)
thincat

LiveOutLoud

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
:welcome:to the forums

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store