School Fish Ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eLowther91

AC Members
Feb 23, 2008
I have a aggresive salt water tank, which include a lionfish 3-4inch, a Picasso trigger 4-5inches (Known to eat small fish), Coral hog 3 Inch, Maroon Clown 3 inch, and a Yellow Foxface 6 inch. Now my question is, my tank is looking kinda of empty since my trigger ate all of the damsels that i used to cycle my tank with. my tank has been running for about 6-8months know, and i am wondering is their a fish i can put in my 75 gallon tank, that will school, but not get killed by the other fish, and has to be some what hardy.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
In my opinion your tank is already pretty well stocked for a 75, that Lion is going to need close to a 200g tank when adult, the Picasso will max out the 75 when adult, the Foxface will need a 120, same with the Cuban Hog. So I would look into get a 200g tank before looking at schooling fish to add. If you had a 200g Mono sebae's or argenteus are pretty good schoolers that will do well as long as the Trigg doesn't go after them. Also if your trigger is an aggressive one (some Picasso's are, some aren't) then I would keep a really close eye on the Lion as he will be next on the Picasso's list. Just my opinion.

eLowther91

AC Members
Feb 23, 2008
I actually am planning on upgrading to a 180gallon soon, and the picasso actually did go after my lion once, he bit of a small piece of the lion's fin, and after that my smaller lion retiallated and chased the trigger with his mouth open, and his spins in attack mode. Ever since the trigger doesn't bother my lion anymore.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
I actually am planning on upgrading to a 180gallon soon, and the picasso actually did go after my lion once, he bit of a small piece of the lion's fin, and after that my smaller lion retiallated and chased the trigger with his mouth open, and his spins in attack mode. Ever since the trigger doesn't bother my lion anymore.
Upgrading soon doesn't give you the excuse for putting that amount of large fish in a tank that is too small for them. You should of waited until you had the larger tank before buying them as they are only going to get stressed in the current tank.
What if your plan falls through with the upgrade then the poor fish are stuck in the smaller tank for even longer.
Take some back to the lfs as the 180 still isn't going to be big enough for most of the stock you have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store