Scouring pads for cleaning glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

glenngreen

AC Members
Mar 26, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Real Name
Glenn Green
Well, I have always had a few of those square/rectangle flat green scrubbers under my aquarium for cleaning off the algae and film inside the tank while I do a water change. Today, I decided I needed some new ones (they lasted a long time). In the grocery store I found the Scotch Brite brand I thought I had always used for this. The package clearly states "NOT FOR AQUARIUM USE".

I don't know if I have just been lucky to date, or if something has changed. Am I the only one using these? What else is out there? Are there any "aquarium safe" scrub pads?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Check the label to see if it has soaps or anti-bacterial agents.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Many of them do contain chemicals that are not safe for fish--algicides and antimicrobials, mostly. Won't hurt the glass, but not great for fish and the beneficial microfauna.

I use the plain 'magic erasers'.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Hmmm. Good points. I've been using dollar store type scrubbers. The ones with a plastic handle on them. No real labeling attached. I've been using them for years, but still...

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Some of those pads do have chemicals on them. You can even smell them on the pads.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Some pads are treated with chemicals, some just say not for use in aquarium to cover their butts cause that is not what their product is intended for. If there are no soaps, detergents, perfumes, anti-mold/fungal/bacterial etc added then they are usually fine. I know a lot of people are using the basic magic erasers these days too. I have used them twice myself.

Depending how long ago you bought your last batch it is possible that they just didn't NEED to put that disclaimer on the package, you know the time before we needed everything spelled out for us on every package ever?

Reactions: fishorama

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
you know the time before we needed everything spelled out for us on every package ever?
Yes, like etching on the bottom of soda bottles--"open other end".

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I too have some old cheap scrubby pads for cleaning. But mostly I get green spot alga on my front glass that needs nothing short of a razor blade, lol. Luckily my husband usually does it.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The plain magic erasers work well for spot algae. No chemicals, doesn't scratch glass unless you scrub on it for hours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store