Sculpin/mudminnow tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
I'm in the process of setting up 4 20L tanks. One is going to be a SW QT tank so really I'm only setting up three "real" tanks. I want to set up one to be an interesting display that houses fish that aside from interesting me will be willing to consume Cichlid and livebearer culls from other tanks. I've been playing around with the idea of setting up some native tanks and thought maybe this would be a good fit. I was thinking a couple Mottled Sculpin and maybe four Eastern Mudminnows. Setup would include several cave structures for the sculpins and some background plants(not sure what kind yet) for the mudminnows to lurk in. I was thinking of using two AC20 filters to help keep things pristine and provide some flow.

Any thoughts on how readily they would eat excess/culled fry? Does this sound like a reasonable setup? Overstocked? Or maybe have only two mudminnows and a Pirate Perch or two?

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks
Adam

Mr.Catfish

AC Members
Apr 6, 2010
NW Ohio
I've tried keeping more than two Mottled Sculpins in a 20 long it didn't work so well. The slightly larger one (3 inches) was very territorial. In the long run it ended up killing the other one(stress and malnutrition). It wouldn't let it move from the one corner of the tank. Even though there were multiple hiding spots and plenty of cover.
As for keeping mudminnows with them .I would be wary of the sculpins possibly eating them since the are a narrow fish. The sculpins can get quite large. I have caught them up to 7 inches. And with their large mouths can eat fish over half their size. I have personally seen a 3 inch sculpin eat a 2 inch darter.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I would defiantly go with a single sculpin...my prickly sculpin is over 7 inches now.

keep the temp below 75 or they get a bit buggy...good water flow and you are good to go!

..be ware though mine has gotten lazy and barely eats anything live now...she would much rather eat pellets.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
If you want a true eating machine that is not your everyday fish try Belonasox. These guys are the apex livebearer. I feed mine from several Endler colonys and convict cichlid fry. A pair in a 20L is very cool.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
Where do you guys get sculpins? I cant seem to find any. Im gonna start a microfishing journal this summer to record what I catch, maybe ill give you guys something :p

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
Where do you guys get sculpins? I cant seem to find any. Im gonna start a microfishing journal this summer to record what I catch, maybe ill give you guys something :p
Well I've never kept them so I can't comment on how hard they are to catch. There are a couple online sources that sell them(Jonah's aquarium is one) though the cost is a bit high.

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
If you want a true eating machine that is not your everyday fish try Belonasox. These guys are the apex livebearer. I feed mine from several Endler colonys and convict cichlid fry. A pair in a 20L is very cool.
I would love some pike livebearer but I thought females could get 8" long? Seems like a 20L might be a bit small.

Mr.Catfish

AC Members
Apr 6, 2010
NW Ohio
Sculpins are usually found in coldwater streams. And some deep cool lakes. Look for the along the bottom in clear streams. Pay close attention as the are masters of camouflage. Dip nets and minnows seines are the easiest ways to catch them. The will dart under rocks like crayfish do. And are sometimes mistaken for them. So carefully move rocks around slowly and they should swim out from under them.It looks like the closest area to you would be the Piscataquis drainage that holds Slimy Sculpins.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
In MO, we got some back in the woods in in a cold gravel-bottom stream. At night we shined them, and in the morning, we got them with tiny hooks and marshmallows. They were easy to collect both ways

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store