Seems Dead, but Alive?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lil' fishy

AC Members
Sep 10, 2008
So I recently changed my fishs' water. I've had them for two years. They are comet goldfishes, about 4 inches long, and live in a 50 gallon tank.

Several days ago, I had posted something talking about how one fish was just sitting on the tank floor.

Well today, that same one was laying on it's side. It's gills were not moving; it looked dead.

Yet, when I went out to bury it, it suddenly had like a spasm and was wriggling around. I quickly put it back in it's tank. It's not floating like a dead fish would. But when I swish the water, it just moves with the current like a dead fish. But it's still alive.

So how do I get my fish to be better? It has spasms (where it's mouth gapes and starts wriggling around).

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
I hate to break it to you, but it sounds to me like your fish is just fighting hard while on its deathbed. Personally, I would euthanize at this point.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I'm so sorry for your troubles. I'm sorry your fish is so sick. I'm afraid it sounds as though he has a short time to live. I read the other post, and I'm afraid he has sustained damage that can't be remedied.

As J double R, and THE V mentioned in your other post, it sounds like a water quality issue.

Without more information, and just going on your description, I'm wondering if the tank may have had "old tank syndrome", which means the parameters, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, may have been in the unsafe range for a while.

The fish can get accustomed to higher levels of nitrate, and other toxic substances, excessive dissolved organic compounds in a tank without frequent water changes, and when they then get a really big water change it is a shock to their system and causes osmotic shock.

I don't know for sure what's happening with your sick fish. I'm sorry that I don't have any rescue remedy for his condition. The stringy things could be a result of ammonia or chlorine, could be some fin rot due to water quality issues.

The only thing I can think to do at this point is keep him in very clean, and conditioned dechlorinated water, no ammonia, and no nitrites. Keep him from exeriencing swings in temerature, so if/when you do water changes make sure the temp is within 2 degrees... 1 degree if possible.

You might try a little salt in his water. Add some thoroughly dissolved plain old table salt, perhaps a teaspoon. It can't hurt, and if he's suffering from nitrite poisoning it may help. I've read threads posted by some of the goldfish gurus in which they suggest using a little salt.

You may need to consider euthanasia, from your description of his condition. I can help with instructions for humane euthansia if his condition doesn't improve with clean water.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I hate to break it to you, but it sounds to me like your fish is just fighting hard while on its deathbed. Personally, I would euthanize at this point.

Really, J double R is telling it to you straight, and I, personally, would euthanise a fish in that condition.

I'm so sorry.

avanc

Aialik..cutest otter in Oregon!!
Nov 7, 2008
gettin' hot
If you have done nothing differerent with their water I have to agree that he is probably dying. I had a comet goldfish that I had for 13 years and I had to make the decision to end it when she was acting this way. I know it is hard but it is better to end it quickly for this one and take mel's advice and keep an eye on your water quality. I'm Sorry for your situation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store