Selecting gold gourami for community tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
I'm still on the lookout for the right "goldfish-like" fish to be the focal point of my 55g tank. (My daughter wants a goldfish, but I know you can't keep an actual goldfish with tropical fish.) The tank has sand substrate and will be inhabited by cory cats, a larger cat, an eel, and maybe some schooling fish.

Originally I was looking at a red parrot cichlid or some longfin rosy barbs for my large pseudo-goldfish. But I think a gold gourami (or more than one) could work. So: would gold gouramis behave in such an environment? And would I want just one, or a pair (what sexes?), or more than a pair? I gather they can be aggressive if the circumstances aren't right, and they can be peaceful if everything is as it should be.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Rolling solo would be fine with them, but they are very interesting to watch when they interact with each other. Females tend to do better with each other than males because they're a little nicer, and they're just as pretty. Multiples may not always work out though. I just had to rehome a dwarf because the opaline female wouldn't leave him alone in a 60g

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
Let's say I wanted to have two. Would two females be better than one of each?

How about if I wanted three? Three females, or one male and two females?

I'm much more interested in avoiding fish chaos than in breeding, if that matters. :)

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Let's say I wanted to have two. Would two females be better than one of each?

How about if I wanted three? Three females, or one male and two females?

I'm much more interested in avoiding fish chaos than in breeding, if that matters. :)
I've read that all females is best. In my one experience with more than 2, I got 2 males and 2 females. That worked it's way down to 1 male and 2 females through aggression. Then they lived happily for the year that I had the tank. The male got relatively huge

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Id say if your other daughters heart wasnt set on cories and another larger cat, you could do a trio or so of dojo loaches with a couple fancy goldfish and be good. :) As for gouramis go, Id get either 1 male and 2 females, or 2-3 females. Thats what I did for my 55 gallons in the past with no problems. :)

xianglianqin

Registered Member
Nov 6, 2013
Multiples may not always work out though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store