Self sustaining shrimp aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WeaverISU

Registered Member
Sep 13, 2019
Hello, I'm new here and to aquariums. I'm working on a school project and I need to make a self sustaining ecosystem, I chose a freshwater ecosystem but I am having trouble finding appropriate plants that can feed shrimp or fish (which ever would be easier) like I said I'm new to this and the information I found online was misleading or confusing. Any help would be appreciated.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
try googling 'Walstad method' and see if that is what you are looking for.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Then the best of luck, I'm not sure how much closer has been documented, let alone is possible.

WeaverISU

Registered Member
Sep 13, 2019
Then the best of luck, I'm not sure how much closer has been documented, let alone is possible.
It's definitely possible, people have done it. They just haven't documented it super well and some of it goes off assuming we have prior knowledge

WeaverISU

Registered Member
Sep 13, 2019
Define "self sustaining"... as in no water changes, no feeding?
Self sustaining as in self sustaining. I set it up and don't have to do anything. Maybe cleaning or something once a month but the less I have to do to it the better.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I had a 10g, very heavily planted, lots cherry shrimp that was "almost" self sustaining. I fed it maybe once a week or 2, a pea, a food pellet or 2, or tiny pinch of flake. I'm not sure they needed that much.

I changed water, well, maybe a bit more than once a month but not much. If the shrimp were happy (& mine were), they bred often & a lot. I gave away or sold many...Plants too.

Even a plant only tank needs some help. I've read it's "theoretically" possible, but not in any real life way, depending on your water supply, plants & animals. Even just topping up water evaporation seems maybe like it needs more effort than you want to give...What are you trying to do? Habitat sustainability, or...economics... or what? What are your water parameters? That could go a long way to inform us of your tank's "sustainability" possibilities. Even Walstad tops up as far as I've read of her method...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome to the site.

I too question why. You're brand new to aquaria and yet you want/need something completely hands-off?

Even the Walstad method isn't about just tossing some contents into a tank and walking away from it. Major amounts of planning, measuring and just the right combo of plants and a few fish that will work with your hardware and conditions are the start of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store