Serpent/brittle stars

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
serpent/brittle stars

good bad or indifferent??

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
bad most of the time they will make a fake cave and trap innocent inverts like hermits and eat them but they are great scavengers i have them in my reef 75 gal so far no issues that have been SEEN

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
ahh..most are in my fuge.

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
most hermits? or brittle stars? Are you talking about those small brittle stars or big ones...I'm lost

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
bad most of the time they will make a fake cave and trap innocent inverts like hermits and eat them but they are great scavengers i have them in my reef 75 gal so far no issues that have been SEEN
large, large, LARGE brittles may catch fish or inverts if they can grab a hold of them. But just about all healthy fish are strong enough to get away as long as the star isn't ginormous. But honestly, i truly believe that almost all of these reports of them eating things are just scape-goats for why a fish died.
Also, they dont have a brain, they cant build a cave to trap something. But may try to suck on to something that they come across, but once again, that pretty much never successful.

The mini-brittles are perfectly fine and are a good part of your clean up crew. You probably have a few in your main tank too.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
thanks..i am pretty sure there are some in the maintank..I watched with the moonlights and you could see little arms in the LR

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store