Setting off Bug Bombs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aries

"Umm...., what is that!!??"
Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
From personal experience...Bug bombs DO NOT WORK!!!! At least none of the 3 I have tried.

Do you have any pets, the furry kind? In my previous apartment, I had a LARGE flea infestation - they were EVERYWHERE. Bombs did not work.

What did work eventually is putting FrontLine on my two cats (tried dips, washes and collars, nothing worked). It took about 1 month before all the fleas were dead and about 2 more months to make sure nothing came back. It also helped for my inlaws and their flea infestatin.

Just my thoughts to help. Fleas ARE NOT FUN!

Aries

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
yes, if you have pets make sure you treat them with revolution, frontline, or advantage as fleas also can give your pets tapeworms. the combo of treating your pets, lots of vacuuming and using a spray from the vet should alleviate your problem. It is important to look up the flea life cycle so that you can make sure you have adressed the problem for the correct duration and don't have a re-infestation.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You'll be fine. Just cover the tank. We do it a couple of times a year... prevenative maintaince.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Go for a brand called Adams.. it's an organic flea killer, and it works QUITE well. used it in my house when a cat dropped a few fleas that turned into a nightmare.

it's non-toxic to humans, and not AS toxic (although it still is a bit) to fish.

oh, and DO NOT (read: DO NOT) EVER use Hartz brand flea drops.. ive heard so many bad stories of botched formulas, and both of my mother's cats have severe neurological problems (to include random loss of control of body parts) after encountering a bad batch of this stuff, confirmed by her vet.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Bombs work, if used properly and in 2 week increments. The idea is to kill the adults. 2 weeks later, eggs should have hatched - bomb again before the new ones have had a chance to lay.

Adams also works for spot treatments, but spot treatments, as a rule, don't work.

For the tank, unplug the filter etc. and lay all cords on top, then inflate a lg. garbage bag & seal it as much as possible to the sides of the tank. 4-6 hours should be no sweat at all.

Long term solution: pills for pets that render any biting fleas sterile.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
I've nevr had bug problems, so I cant really provide any help. Although, I think if you sealed the garbag bag over the tank there wont be any problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store