Setting up a nana/micro REEF lots of quesions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RobUK

AC Members
Apr 16, 2004
Setting up a nano/micro REEF lots of quesions

Hi all,
This is my first post in the marine section :)

I have been running FW tropical setups for a while now and there has been talk of Nano reefs in those forums.

I have some space and fancied doing maybe a 10g setup.
Questions are....

Filtration: What if any would I need as I have heard in tank so small water changes and plenty of live rock/sand do the job???

Lighting: Oviously I would want some kind of coral, invert, anemone life in the tank. Would sort of power/spectrum would I need.

Heating: Does a standard FW heater do the job?

Also any other bits of advice/info would be greatly recieved :) I know handling such a small tanks parameters would be tricky but I feel I have the time and drive to give it a go. Ultimatly I wuld love a large marine setup and this would be my learning curve before taking the plunge (Pun Intended ;)) into a full blown 100g+ setup.

Thanks an advance

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
As long as you keep the stock very light, rock and sand will do the job. A skimmer will always help, too. I have a cheap skimmer, rock and sand in my 10 gallon tank, 15 gallon sump, and it's been stable and clean.

Lights--depends on what you want. I wouldn't encourage anyone to put an anenome in a nano--just not a good idea, these are critters that are tough to maintain. For some of the lower light softies, figure 4-5 wpg. Then up you can go!

Yep--most heaters say they are fine for either SW/FW...I don't recall seeing any that wouldn't work in either, anyway. I prefer the submersible ones, since it's easier to use and secure from water level changes. Mine is in my sump, so I have to watch it when I do water changes, but elsewise it's safe.

RobUK

AC Members
Apr 16, 2004
I've had a good browse around online at things.

Lights: Firguring somethng like a T5? 55w Daytime blue and a 55W atrincte blue???

Live rock will probally be "uncured" parcific stuff

I havent decided on tank size yet but I am thinking about 10-15 gallons

I assume there arnt really any fish you can keep in a tank that small? so I was going to go for plenty of little cleaners and maybe one larger hermit crab (I just love looking at all the little guys, they're so cool :D)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If you want corals, I'd forgo the hermit crab. While they seldom eat the corals, they tend to be little bulldowzers, and knock things around. I evicted all the hermits from my tank--they were killing off all my snails.

There are some fish--clown/gumdrop gobies, many of the gobies that form a relationship with pistol shrimp, possibly one of the smaller clowns. It's more a matter of how stable you can keep the tank--lots of small fish out there.

Lighting sounds fine--you'll be able to keep just about any corals you'd like. Shouldn't have too many problems with heat either, but I would probably build a fan in to the canopy JIC.

RobUK

AC Members
Apr 16, 2004
Ok thanks.
I did find this place aswell while I was searching...

www.nano-reef.com they have some call pics and some Okish advice. Might be worth adding it to a sticky or something for anyone else who fancies nano-reefing it :)

Pretty sure now I am gonna go for plenty of coral and small inverts, hopefully after a few months of nanoreefs the Girlfriend will let me have a full size one :D

I am gonna go to my LFS shop tommorrow and price a few things up and once I have what I think is an OK setup, I post again just to check it sounds OK, if thats cool?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store