setting up the tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishiefishie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
I will have a 29g becoming empty soon and I have a strong interest in a few cichlids. I need help deciding what I should stock it with, and am hoping to get some help here.
What I'm interested in:
firemouths
convicts
blue acara
geo family (smaller ones)
severums
oscar

Although I am trying to save up for a 55g, it will be at least a few months before that happens, so I'd like to plan for the 29 and then have a list of what I could add to it once the 55 is going. Also, I don't want to breed any as I have no place to take the babies. I like the look of larger fish with a small group of dithers (thinking rosy barbs or tiger barbs).

Thanks!!

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
If you don't want pairs, you might be able to get away with a blue acara and a firemouth in that tank, but there's no guarantees considering the individual personalities and the small space involved.
Neither the severum or oscar would fit in this tank under any circumstances.

fishiefishie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
Oh, yes, I know the oscar would be too large for that tank, but I'm thinking of one for the 55g down the road.
I was thinking I could get a small firemouth, blue acara and either a humphead or egyptian mouthbrooder for now, then when I get the 55g I could add either a severum or oscar and the dither fish and possibly a RTBS or catfish.
So that the final tank would be at least a 55g with 1 firemouth, blue acara, humphead, dither fish and either the severum or oscar.
How do you think that would be? I know oscars can be very messy, so I'm not sure if that would just put it over the top. I do weekly water changes/vacs, but still...
Thanks for the help!

rhardy

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
You are right "but still" that is not a very big tank for your planned inhabitants.

fishiefishie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
So what would you do for the 55g?
I could do a firemouth and a blue acara (if they don't have one, would a JD work?) for the 29 (of course I'll move one if they get to fighting too much), then add maybe an oscar or a severum and one other smaller (5-6") cichlid once I get the 55?
I think I'll leave out any dithers, as they'll probably get eaten, or at least nipped to death.
ETA: Thanks!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
29 gal? apistos, shellies, keyholes, rams...

fishiefishie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
Good ideas, rbishop, but I have a shellie tank already, and I've had rams before so I'd like something different. The apistos are a great fish, but around here the cheapest I can get them are about $25 each, and that's juvenile, unsexed and they have to be ordered "whenever the supplier has them," so they are pretty much a no-go. Thanks for the suggestions, though! :)
I really would like to keep it a south american tank, I think.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store