Severum growth speed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
My Gold Severum was only an inch when I first got her 4 months ago. Now she is about 3.5".

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
It seems like the growth slows a bit when they reaches 4" or 5", IMO. My one of my Green Severums was about 2" when I got him 2 months ago. Now he is 4" and didn't get much bigger. Then again...he doesn't eat like a pig. He only has 2 sticks a meal. Once he is full, he just swim off. My other Green Severum grows so fast within a month. Was only 1.5" when I got him. Now he is 3.5". And he eats a lot. The Gold Severum I talked about, her mouth is crooked to the right, so eating for her is a bit difficult, that's why she grows slower than most fishes.

IMO, it has a lot to do with how your fish eats.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
I have found that severum does slow down at a certain point (as previously mentioned)

But.
I have also found that the rate of growth after that inital growth spurt depends greatly on the tank size. Yes they will grow to there maximum size in a smaller tank. I have found however that it seems to take longer. They seem to adapt to their surroundings quite well.

I am also not stating my statement as some scientific fact. Just off of observations from my own breeding pairs and broods that I have had and raised over the years. As well as from converstations with others that I know who also breed and raise severums from this area.

BTW: Just for the record. I am not one of those believers in the "fish will only grow to the tank size" myth. I am well aware that this is a greatly misinformed and flat out wrong myth.

MASSMAN2

AC Members
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Well, I got a 2 inch Severum in June, whose fins were pratically torn to the body that has grown to about 3 inches since it has grown its fins back. My Severum was in a 20 gallon by itself for the first few weeks but is now in a 55 gallon with an Oscar and a Green Terror. I would say, if in a tank by itself, the Severum will grow about an inch every 2-3 months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store