Severum help??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

soonerfan121

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
springfield,mo
I am setting up a severum tank in a 55. I have 2 green ones now and would like to add a couple of different types into it. I have seen the gold ones here and in the last week my LFS started carrying both red head and red shoulder severums. I am wondering if there is any difference in the two? Also would like to know where to find red severums. Was looking online and seen them. Any help would be appreciated

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
as far as i know, red head and red shoulder are the same, but the entire severum species thing is very confusing. i wouldn't put more than 2 or three sevs in a 55g, they reach 8-10 inches. try aquabid.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
three should be fine, as long as they dont form a breeding pair.

sevs are acctually more docile for being large cichlids, but can still hold their own with the more aggressive fish.

you'll have to pick one kind. all have virtually the same temperment. of course, with individuals (especially with cichlids) this can differ. some will be more aggressive than others.

soonerfan121

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
springfield,mo
I already have two one is eight inches the other about 5 both are green but since I have found no definitive answer on sexing them i am not sure what sex they are. I am taking them out of my 125 community tank

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
usually males will have longer and pointier fins (like most male new world cichlids) and will also show lots of colorful wormy lines on their faces like discus, esp. when in a breeding mood. females will have no facial lines or the lines will be much less shimmery (iridescent) and colorful. males are usually more colorful as a group, but that may not work with individual fish. mostly though I think it's hard to tell. look at a lot of pictures until you become comfortable with the subtle differences. search 'severum male' or 'severum female' to make sure you get info on sexing. also familiarize yourself on what breeding tubes look like. males are pointy like the writing end of a pen, while females are a little wider and blunt-tipped.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store